Logo

Stalling during shifting

slick50

I am having problems with stalling and engine cutting off during shifting with my 200hp 1999 Johnson Outboard. It makes it very dangerous when entering and leaving boat ramp area. I have read about a speed interrupter that shuts off part of the cylinders but what can be done to solve problem. Thanks

make sure you have spark,spark should jump 7/16 of an inch.check fuel filter.these are easy to check,and check spark plugs.start with that.

Last edited:
Is your motor fuel injected or does it have carbs?doese spark seem ok or is it ok?It should be a blue spark,at autozone you can buy a spark tester for a few bucks!!Should jump 7/16 of inch,if not it will never run rite!!once you know for shure spark is good and problem still there then start checking fuel system,if you have primer on ignition push it and if boat wants to run with primer engaged.if you have carbs look at the bottom of each one there should be a screw on each side of fuel bowl,take screw out of both sides and run a wire threw it,this is your main jets,if you clean with wire and runs better then rebuild carbs!!

That motor should have a shift interrupt switch on the stbd side of the engine, that shuts down 3 cylinders momentarily to help when shifting... This switch has 2 connectors that connect under the powerpack. Should these be connected the wrong way round, that switch will cut off all 6...
There is also a diode in that harness that may also be causing you grief.
What is your idle speed in neutral?? Does the engine shut down normally when you turn the key off? Or does it seem to run on a little?
Also try pressing that switch by hand with the engine idling in neutral... you should clearly hear if all 6 are shutting down or only 3 as they should.

Back