Logo

5.0GL engine stopped, lost ALL oil into bilge and instantly started taking on LOTS of water, HELP

Goboating

Out boating yesterday in our deck boat, only 90 hours and on our way back to ramp after being out 2 hours I heard a noise, engine just quit and when I lifed rear seat to look at motor, the bilge had only oil in it. So I lifed engine hatch to inspect and immediately I noticed water and within a few minutes I had a couple inches of water along with all the engine oil in the bilge. 5 minutes later I flagged down a boat to pull us to the ramp and the level was rising quickly. In this boat, there isn't much room to look down along the side of the block but we got it on the trailer and out of the water. Then before I pulled the plug, tons of water was coming out from both side of the transom housing (guess that's what it is called....cover that is flush with transom). It took a full hour to finally drain all the water out. I inspected the bellows and exhaust boots and they both appear fine and were recently replaced along with a new gimbal bearing (4 hours ago). When I pull dipstick, there is nothing...no oil or water just dry and the boat just had a full service with all new fluids, filters etc.....and I had just checked the oil and it was good. oil psi had been great, around 50-60 and temp had been running perfectly normal. No alarm went off as cooling temp was normal but the temp did increase right after it shut down to high normal but never up into the red.

Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated! I did want to see if boat would turn over and tried last night and it did.

Rod went thru oil pan and bottom of boat? Crankshaft broke and took out the gimbal housing? In any case it sounds pretty bad.

I've had a mirror all over underneath it and don't see a busted block or oil pan. Filling it with oil and will attempt to fire it up and then watch for oil. Looks like transom shield may be a tick loose as with I trimmed it down on a block of wood, there is about 1/8" gap between back of hull/transom so I am hoping it is a lil loose. I am going to loosen it and then put a good bead of 5200 in it to get a good seal. I thought it dropped a rod initially but there would be a ton of water in block if it was coming through engine and it is bone dry. Hoping an oil sensor broke or cracked and it is just an ironic thing but we'll see. I need a break!

If your transom assembly is loose from the hull. it is time to pull the engine and see why. You cannot just loosen it more and apply sealer. May be time for you to get a professional.

Dock, it seems he used a profesional as stated in his first post, had a lot of work just completed on the boat. if its a competent ad trusted profesional he may want to take it to them so they can see whats going on.

Dock, it seems he used a profesional as stated in his first post, had a lot of work just completed on the boat. if its a competent ad trusted profesional he may want to take it to them so they can see whats going on.

"bellows were recently replaced along with a new gimbal bearing (4 hours ago)." Sorry I don't see where it was done by a professional.

G'day Goboating
I have just had the same thing happen and haven't diagnosed the problem yet.
What was the cause of your oil loss
Cheers Tim

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... This thread is 10 years old, 'n the op hasn't been back,......

Start a thread of yer own, 'n tell us what yer motor, 'n drive is, possibly with serial numbers,.....
'n what happened to it, along with what you done to it in fairly recent history,.....

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... This thread is 10 years old, 'n the op hasn't been back,......

Start a thread of yer own, 'n tell us what yer motor, 'n drive is, possibly with serial numbers,.....
'n what happened to it, along with what you done to it in fairly recent history,.....

Righto Bondo
It's a 5lt mercruiser 2bbl carby with an Alpha 1 Gen 2 leg
She had a new Sump, S/S exhaust manifolds, new gimbal bearing and bellows all fitted by a Marine mechanical workshop 15 months ago.
Oil and filter changed twice a year
Have had trouble free boating for 5 years
Until last Sunday 🙄
My wife and I with 2 of our kids, their partners and our grandson all hopped on the boat and set off for Great Keppel Island for a day of snorkelling, tubing and wake boarding.
Approximately 15 minutes into the trip sitting on about 3/4 throttle when all of a sudden lost power a few loud clang clang clangs and she stopped.
Tried to restart and got a few more clangs
Lifted engine hatch to find lots of oil in the hull under the engine and no trace of oil on the dipstick (which was checked that morning)
Now
I too have looked underneath the engine with a mirror for a gaping hole in the block or the sump because the clangs sounded like she put a leg out of bed.
No oily spark plugs
All cylinders 145-180psi comp test
Turns over with no abnormal noise
So how did the oil get out
I will check out a few more possibilities today and hopefully find out what happened

Righto Bondo
It's a 5lt mercruiser 2bbl carby with an Alpha 1 Gen 2 leg
She had a new Sump, S/S exhaust manifolds, new gimbal bearing and bellows all fitted by a Marine mechanical workshop 15 months ago.
Oil and filter changed twice a year
Have had trouble free boating for 5 years
Until last Sunday 
My wife and I with 2 of our kids, their partners and our grandson all hopped on the boat and set off for Great Keppel Island for a day of snorkelling, tubing and wake boarding.
Approximately 15 minutes into the trip sitting on about 3/4 throttle when all of a sudden lost power a few loud clang clang clangs and she stopped.
Tried to restart and got a few more clangs
Lifted engine hatch to find lots of oil in the hull under the engine and no trace of oil on the dipstick (which was checked that morning)
Now
I too have looked underneath the engine with a mirror for a gaping hole in the block or the sump because the clangs sounded like she put a leg out of bed.
No oily spark plugs
All cylinders 145-180psi comp test
Turns over with no abnormal noise
So how did the oil get out
I will check out a few more possibilities today and hopefully find out what happened

I guess you missed the "Start a new thread part"?

While many issues with engines are the same on Volvo and MERCS, this would do MUCH better on the MERCRUISER forum...
FWIW.... I'd check out the oil cooler...

Back