Logo

1978 85 HP Evinrude stalls when put into gear

Al Deez

I have a 1978 Evinrude 85 HP, that stalls out intermittently, when I attempt to put in gear after starting.
I have always had to choke this motor to start it, even in warm weather, and even after being off for a few minutes, but it always starts ok.
Lately, randomly, it starts ok, but as soon as you put in gear and apply throttle, it will just stall out, either right away or in a couple of seconds. Eventually, after repeating a half dozen times, it will go like normal, with no hesitation.
Any suggestions??? I have checked fuel filter, plugs are new, tank is dry, new primer bulb, tank plug in connection is new. Do these motors have another fuel pump? Carburetor issue? I'm trying to understand this better and do what I can,before I turn this over to an expert at an hourly rate.
Any help would be appreciated!!

It stalls because it is not making the " proper power " to keep running.-----------These motors need to be checked.--------------#1 do a compression test----------# 2 check to make sure that you have spark that will jump a gap of 7/16" on each cylinder.--------------# 3 If those are good then look into cleaning carburetors and adjusting the idle speed to keep it from stalling.

Back