Logo

1980 Ski Nautique ignition problems

jpeep5008

I have a 1980 Ski Nautique with a 5.8L PCM engine. I was de-winterizing it last weekend and while trying to get it cranked, the starter stopped engaging and I heard a series of clicking noises at the rear of the engine. I assumed that the starter relay had gone bad, so I got a replacement from a PCM parts dealer, installed it today and now when I try and crank it, I hear a single click and the starter does not engage. Any ideas??? Thank you in advance for your help.

I have a 1994 Moomba with the Ford 351 engine and I am having the same problem. I just replaced the starter and still hear the one click sound. Did you ever solve your issue. I was thinking of changeing the starter relay switch.

Hi, <br><br>I have a 1992 351 Ford Windsor in my Ski Centurion. <br><br>Before replacing the starter relay, try jumping across it to see if the engine cranks. You can do this either by using a heavy gauge wire to connect the two red power leads, or loosen the power lead coming from the battery, and touch it to the power lead to the starter. Be sure to disconnect the battery while loosening, and then reconnect prior to testing. If the engine cranks, then the relay is the problem. I don't think this is it, though. <br><br>I have a similar issue, in that the engine sounds like a dying battery and hard cranks, but will then sound like it is starting normally after a couple hard cranks. Also, after running the boat for awhile, shutting it off, and then trying to restart, I get this same condition. If I let it rest for 1 - 2 hours, it starts okay.<br><br>Maybe someone can help us both!

it sounds silly but go back to basics start from the battery - i had a similar problem with my supra and found that the feed wire
from to the sol was arking in the battery terminal which may give you indications of a faulty sol or flat battery- hope this helps

regards

podge

Thanks Podge. It turned out to be the starter was bad. According to my local marine shop, if the bilge floods and the starter gets wet at some point, this will cause corrosion in the starter and the hard starting. The new starter works awesome!

FYI, for those of you with the older Ford 5.8L Bendix drive starter motors........
Ford_starter_motor_12v_auto_part_for_ford_starter_2_1675_FD_.summ.jpg

you may want to consider getting away from the Bendix style, and going to the later HTGR/PMGR units.

images
images

These are solenoid arm action, and will generally kick butt over that of the old, outdated, non-gear reduction, Bendix drive style motors.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did change the old starter to the new solenoid arm action type and also changed the relay switch and the engine turns over and starts like a dream. Awesome.

Back