Logo

Heat alarm ???

JUICE518

Ok I need some help with my 1996 Johnson 112 hp special. My heat alarm is going off. I have replaced the thermostats and water pump. The alarm will not sound at idle only after running under load for a few min. You can bring it back to idle and the alarm will stop after 30-45 sec. At know time is the water out of the pee hole hot. Anyone have any ideas to what I could check next?:confused:

Do a compression test --------Blown head gasket will cause overheat condition.-----------------There may be an issue with water deflectors ( guides ) and heads would have to be removed for inspection.

Thank you for the reply. The compression is very good was checked when the new water pump was installed. Motor only has approximately 70 hours on it. Has been sitting in a garage for some years.

Ok, if you have checked that you are not getting a false alarm from the sensors ( 1 per cylinder head )----------Or have a faulty horn.-----Then you may have to pull the heads to inspect the deflecters ( guides )

What is the best way to check the sensors? How do I know if I have a faulty horn? Do I have to remove the water jacket cover to check the sensor?

I'm no expert, but if hot water is coming out of the pee hole, then water isn't draining through the engine. When I was having overheat issues, water out of the pee hole was cool. If water out of the pee hole is hot, it's not draining through the thermostats....right?

Back