Logo

number one on chrysler marine 318

Trojanman, yes.... a very long winded thread indeed! But you know how that #1 cylinder likes to jump around! :D

Perhaps we should take an Intermission, like in the movie "Gone with the Wind".
We can all step out and get some popcorn and a Coke!

BTW, what happened to my Magnafying Glass for Greasemonkey in post 60?
The image is now an advertisement!

3d_magnifying-glass.jpg

0933 and your report isnt in??? Not very punctual!! Hmmm.....I think hes stumped folks........I wait for Woodrow,Pete or anybody........Cmon Magnum Dave....25 years of working on Mopars...wait I dont know if that takes us back far enough lets see

-25 years
=1986
Nope, your just Magnum Dave!! you did however just catch the premier of TOP GUN when GREASE was workin on lawnmowers and tearing apart remote control cars at 6 years old

I do love the "Gone with the Wind" reference, being from Atlanta and all..............Frankly my dear Ricky, I dont think you give a damn.........about Chrysler Marine!!!

Attachments

• th bolt.jpg
    th bolt.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 145
Soooooooo....Im getting the run around??

Does it sound like your about to get a schoolin ? "Tuckin the tale" so to speak

Sack up!! For the sake of "the forum"

Soooooooo.... Im getting the run around??

Does it sound like your about to get a schoolin ? "Tuckin the tale" so to speak

Sack up!! For the sake of "the forum"

Wow, Grease...... I am somewhat perplexed as to how you can not see this, and how you can dispute the following:

Pete confirms # 1 cylinder location in post # 2
I comment in post # 3 confirming Pete's comment.
Woodie supports this in post # 5.
Myself again w/ images in post # 6.
Woodie again post # 8.
Me again post # 11.
Woodie again confirms in post #13.
Me again post #15.
Woodie again posts # 17 & 18.
Jeff leads us to believe that his is confused post # 22 (me thinks he's screwing with us :) )
Explanation post # 23.
Woodie confirms post # 26.
Mictat2214 also confirms post # 27.
Followed by Jeff's confirmation in post # 28.
A bit of sarcasm for you in posts # 29 & 31 (all in fun! :cool:)
Odd and ridiculous comment in post # 32.
More explanations posts # 33 & 34.
Woodie again confirms in post # 35.
Dave confirms in posts # 36 and again in # 39.
Fail to see any relevance in post # 45..... looks like a filibuster to me.
A challenge for you to post images in # 47.... no such luck thus far!
Chris uses a bit of sarcasm in post # 48 & 51, but apparently to no avail.
Another filibuster by you in posts # 57 & 59.

Apparently myself and the above members do notunderstand where #1 cylinder actually is!
Perhaps you would be willing to post a few images that clearly explains this for us!
If you can do this successfully, I'll then pass it along to the entire Marine Repair Industry, so that we can all make the necessary changes to our service literature!
I'll welcome the "school'n", I'll "sack up" and I'll "tuck the tail"! Or as you say; "tuck the tale"! :D

Fair nuff?

Last edited:
A few more thoughts and questions specifically for Greasemonkey!

Let's say that #1 has been moved to the #7 cylinder position for the Marine version of this 318/360 engine.
What is the advantage?
IOW, what is there to gain in doing so?
Is # 7 some how easier to reach while setting up a timing light?
Is # 7 some how better than the original automotive cylinder numbering method?
Is there a specially marked or indexed harmonic balancer for this?
Is there a special timing gear set that now allows camshaft indexing to be indexed from # 7 cylinder TDC?
Is there a good reason why Chrysler would do this, and yet not GM, Ford, Volvo Penta, and the rest of them?

Is # 7 some how easier to reach while setting up a timing light? Bingo was his Namo
Is there a specially marked or indexed harmonic balancer for this?......Is there special a timing marker made for chrysler MARINE engines that you cant explain??

Is there a special timing gear set that now allows camshaft indexing to be indexed from # 7 cylinder TDC?There are different key ways to change your tourque curve MEL40406

What is the advantage?

Here is my disertation........Hold on I have to go to the paint shop.......here we go.......

timing cover.jpg

From now on Rick its.......... "Yes Sir Professor Grease, I am merely a student in your forum"

" please allow me to be here

to

learn the ways of a true Jedi":p:p:p:p:p

A reminder:
The thread title implies a question regarding identifying #1 cylinder location..... nothing else!

Grease, for this to go any further, it needs to be understood that it's not about ego or being right or wrong..... it's about correct information being offered here on the forum.
To do so, and in particular when there is a dispute, back up (including text, images, explanations, etc), best serves the purpose.... would you agree?

In your recent attempts here, you've commented on indexing a camshaft for advance or retard using offset keys in order to adjust torque curve.... this has ZERO to do with the thread title.

Posting an image of a broken exhaust manifold bolt (post # 63) has ZERO to do with this thread.

Nor does the "touched up" image of a front cover with hand drawn arrows showing Standard Rotation/Counter Rotation (post # 68)!
No one is disputing RH/LH rotation!

Again, this is a filibuster..... and a very amaturish and Passive/Aggressive one at that.

You've had since June 15th until now to demonstrate your point regarding # 1 cylinder, and again, with text, images, data, OEM reference, etc.
If this can be shown, I'll all eyes and ears...... just do so in a grown up way, and in a way that is completley comprehendable.

Otherwise, if you are unable to stay focused and/or unable to remain on task, then the dialog must stop.
IOW, remain focused, or quit!

It's come to the point now, whereby anyone looking at this thread is doing so as to see how ridiculous it has become... not to gain any knowledge.
And perhaps shame on me for my part in the continuation.

I even held your hand and tried to explain it to you...I answered your questions........ now answer "sack up"

Dont pick out 1 question that was brought up by you and play "Mr. Lets stay on topic"

Chryser marine LM318 setup from the factory use the old #7 cylinder as there number #1 it says it in the book ....I have proved it in real time and the only thing youve proved is you can cut,copy,and paste bad diagrams.

Post from the book or dont post at all,please

Those guys motors run because they know better(as long as it hits in the right order at the right time of the stroke,,,,because theres 4 of them you know) LOOK at the top of the screen this isnt Chrysler outboards....YOUR PRETTY SAVY WITH A MOUSE THOUGH....

Nor does the "touched up" image of a front cover with hand drawn arrows showing Standard Rotation/Counter Rotation (post # 68)!
No one is disputing RH/LH rotation!
OH your not smart enough to get it

It's all clear to me now.
Apparently I did not look closely enough at these two images.

While hard to see, at the tip of this broken exhaust man bolt, there are tiny laser etched instructions pointing to the # 7 cylinder.
Had I looked more closely the first time, I may have seen the relevance of this image to the thread title.

In this image, if you zoom in 1,500 %, you can also see the laser etched instructions.
Again, I should have looked more closely.

And how silly of me to think that Chrysler would offer an image like this!
What in the heck were they thinking????
Just think of how many mechanics have messed up by looking at this!

AND..... how silly of Woodie to post this right out of the Chrysler Marine service manual. I don't know what got into him!
Woodie, I need to have a talking with you!

My apologies to all!

Finally........... some closure to this thread.... thank goodness!

The End! :)

Last edited:
Woodies pic is out of a m-318 book and not a LM-318. That timing mark came out in the seventies
Point is Grease is right and you guys have been giving bad info to all the newcomers with you automotive nonsense.

Great videos Dave , Looks like the timing light is pointed at the ground......Probably just showcasing and automotive 318 that he put together with marine parts and doesnt know better and neither does the buyer

Lets have deeper look at the video............Oh Im lovin this!!

Checking rpm only with the timing light(digital light)
adjusting the idle without a pvc hose connected or tapped in the carb
Couple automotive longblocks with the marine intake and the expansion tank just like the description says

Automotive guys in a Marine forum.....pffft

Once again, all you've done is post rhetoric, and with no images, no service manual data, no videos, no real hard information that supports your claim.
I'd think that a well seasoned Marine Mechanic, like yourself :rolleyes:, would be able to show us this!
You've had since June to do this! What's the hold up?

Show us the data, and perhaps we'll agree with you that somewhere out there, and for some LM 318's, #1 was indeed relocated to #7, and was used for the purpose of setting Ignition Timing.
If fact, I'll make this a challenge for you!

Thanks to one of our members, see this PDF file
http://www.chrysler-marine.com/inboard/startup-facts.pdf

On PDF page 17 (actual manual page 11), under "Ignition Timing - Timing Light Method" (article #1) it mentions #1 cylinder being used to set timing.

Look on PDF pages 24, 25, 26, 27 and 28 (actual manual pages 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22) at the #1 cylinder locations and firing order for the V-8's listed..... pages 20 and 21 in particular re; the LM 318.

Again, I'll make the above a Gentlemanly Challenge for you! :D

Simply hold off on the rhetoric, PLEASE remain focused (no PCV hose comments, no timing light RPM comments, no adjusting idle comments, and so on), and simply post supporting data that we can all see!
Perhaps this could include the service manual where found, the year model, the engine model number, the application, the boat manufacturer, etc.

I'm all eyes and ears if you can do this, and we'll all be a bit better educated when you do.

Fair nuff????

PS, in no way am I angry or upset at you.... this can be a civil discussion..... I'd simply like to see you remain on task.

Last edited:
They say a picture is worth a thousand words (for most of us anyway) but I'm sure GreaseM will try to discredit these also. Sh*t, maybe we should through all our manuals away. 'nough said.

ScreenShot014.jpg
ScreenShot010.jpg
ScreenShot012.jpg
ScreenShot013.jpg

Exactly the same pictures I have...#1 is the cylinder on the left side of the engine, farthest from the flywheel, when veiwed from the flywheel, your distributor rotor should point to it when # 1 cylinder is at Top Dead Center, that is the plug wire to attach your variable timing light too, as I have been doing for the last 15 yrs

This just in from South Florida:

#1 cylinder (aka code name LM318#1) has been sited traveling north on 95 from Delray Beach towards West Palm Beach, apparently turning east on 704 towards Royal Palm Beach.
"Police and FBI have been mislead by #1 after his disguising himself as #7"...., says State Trooper Tim Timing!
Trooper Timing says that this is a rare occurrence, and that #1 has truly stumped the local officials during this hunt!
Trooper Timing goes on to say explain; "when you're looking for #1, you're not looking for a 7.... you're looking for a 1"!

Fellow State Trooper Don Degree, of the Strobe Light district, confirms Trooper Timing's comments.
Trooper Degree says that under normal conditions, Trooper Timing is a flash at this.

All comments have been confirmed by Captain Conrod of the TDC division.

"This hunt is really wearing down the man power", says local news reporter Rhonda Rings of the Compressed News Review.
Ms Rings goes on to say; "The troopers and captain seemed to be a bit cranky during the interviews!"

Captain Conrod is now telling the public that they have a new lead...... and when timing is right, they'll catch him!

If you or anyone has any information that can be passed on the Florida FBI, please call the number on your screen.
Do NOT approach #1..... he should be considered dangerous, Bi-Polar, and may have 7 accomplices with him.

More at 11:00 O'clock! :cool:

This thread just keeps going and going and going and ............

6a00d8341c652b53ef0120a686a9f3970c-120wi

Will the real #1 cylinder please stand up? :D :D:D

Last edited:
Trojanman, you left out a picture of Don's criminal investigation kit that he borrowed from Trooper Tim Timing!

images
.... + ......
images
:D

News update:

FBI agent Daniel Dynamics has a lead as of early this morning. (see news brief below)

FBI_cartoon-300x300.jpg

Yes.... he's holding a timing light in his right hand...... not a weapon!

Agent Dynamics was given an anonymous tip late yesterday.

In this cut/paste, no fingerprints tip, it was offered to agent Dynamics to
read pages 81, 82 and 84, last paragraph on each page of this web page.

http://www.chrysler-marine.com/inboard/startup-facts.pdf

Strong information is repeated several times on some pages throughout the
text under the heading of "Firing Order"!

This gives the FBI hopes of solving this case before the weekend arrives. :)

Friday morning update:

Early this morning, FBI agents found a number 7
spray painted on a side street, along with to two additional key pieces of evidence.... one of which is a piece of tin (a timing indicator)..... the other was two small bolts.

Upon further and closer examination......, authorities suggest that this is a prank, and is not to be taken seriously.
(see photo below)

(photo courtesy of Sam Snaps, who works closely with Ms Rings (of CNR, as noted earlier))
Agents preferred to not be identified in the photo.

Meanwhile, citizen GM is still sorting through data looking to find information referencing # 7 cylinder.
This data would conclude a portion of the search, which would allow search efforts to be focused on the real # 1 (if he exists at all)!

"Sheesh..... I know I have that information here somewhere....... I just need to find it!"
"I can't keep using rhetoric, smoke and mirrors..... they'll be on to me if I do!"

shr1244l.jpg

"You don't think that I could have lost it, do you.......... or never actually had it to begin with?"
"I could sware that I did have it....... somewhere!"

nki0289l.jpg

Attachments

• Florida detectives 7.jpg
    Florida detectives 7.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Evidence found on West Coast:

Investigations being simultaneously conducted on the west coast, earlier today revealed a possible connection to China.
The Chinese have been casting some 318 blocks, and when translating English, an error was made to the #1, by tilting it slightly clockwise, of which nearly and completely explains the confusion.
(see image)
This should put closure to this investigation. :cool:

Attachments

• 318 cylinder block modified.jpg
    318 cylinder block modified.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 802
Now Ricky, I know this is just too irresistible but you must try and excersize some control man. Kidding of course, keep us posted on the investigation!

Trojanman, only if the food server had tilted the #1 clockwise! :D

Well, if nothing else, this has been entertaining for some of us. I know that it has been for me!
I found that had I not thrown in some humor and a bit of sarcasm......., it would have become even more boring and less colorful. :)

On a very serious note..... I'd actually be all eyes and ears if it could be shown to me that several Chrysler 318 Marine applications did indeed offer an alternate #1 cylinder location.
Since no news or updates from GM, I guess that we can safely assume that none will be forthcoming.

The End (hopefully)

Last edited:
Back