Logo

number one on chrysler marine 318

#1 cylinder will always be the Forward-Most cylinder.
IOW, it will be the closest cylinder to you when viewing from the front of the engine.
Conversely, if/when viewing the engine from the flywheel end, this will be the furthest cylinder from you.

REV RH rotation.... or Std LH rotation....... makes no difference!
Only the firing order will change between RH/LH rotation engines.

Thats twice now rick......lets get on the same page bud!! Thats why I got a locked up 318......some chevy guy put thought number 1 is on the circ pump end

Thats twice now rick...... lets get on the same page bud!! Thats why I got a locked up 318......some chevy guy put thought number 1 is on the circ pump end
Perhaps had you done your own research, your 318 would be working today ..... Bud!

Whether Port side or Starboard side......, typically #1 cylinder is connected to the forward-most crankshaft journal.

All of these images show cylinder numbering and standard rotation firing order.

318/360 Chrysler......... #1 forward and Port side.
images

SBC........ #1 forward and Port side.
images

5.0L/5.8L Ford....... #1 forward but Starboard side.

images

Chrysler 440 with ignition distributor up front.
Again..... #1 forward and Port side.
images

460 Ford..... #1 cylinder is forward, but on the Starboard side on this engine.
images

Most all of these engines began their life in the automotive arena.
Since the forward end of the engine was usually aimed forward in the vehicle, the industry determined that the forward-most crankshaft journal would be connected to #1 cylinder.... thus labeling it as such!
Doesn't matter if it's on the driver's side, or passenger's side.... Port side/Stbd side.
This is why I suggested;
#1 cylinder will always be the Forward-Most cylinder.

Look closely at this 318 Chrysler.
You'll see that the Port side cyinder head is forward of the Starboard side cylinder head by one-half of the full forward crankshaft journal width...... or roughly the width of one connecting rod journal.

images

Thanks, Woodie.

Greasemonkey, this is one of the best behaved and well manored Marine Forums that you could possibly find.
Please don't go looking for an argument in a passive/aggressive manor.
Got sump'n on your chest.... spit it out!
Don't understand.... ask a question!

The problem I got is you not knowing that the diagram you posted of the chrysler 318 is wrong, turn to page 2 Data and Specs from your Chrysler marine Manual
go down to firing order,then type what it says under the different firing orders so we all know

and please keep your overexplained,cloudy explainations of stuff you dont know about Chryslers
in the SBC forum

Woodie you got the book from what I saw when you posted the raw water pump diagram, have a look

The problem I got is you not knowing that the diagram you posted of the chrysler 318 is wrong, turn to page 2 Data and Specs from your Chrysler marine Manual
go down to firing order, then type what it says under the different firing orders so we all know

and please keep your overexplained,cloudy explainations of stuff you dont know about Chryslers
in the SBC forum

This is exactly what I was mentioning, and is exactly what is unnecessary here. :mad:
There's no need to bring your ego into this..... just be grown-up like, and state what it is that you are having an issue with.
Why don't you post these images that explain what you are talking about?
How about helping, and post the page 2 Data and Specs from your Chrysler marine Manual?
Perhaps post my image that is in error.... and explain why! I'm certainly open to seeing that.

That should put the issue to rest!
Plus, all of this can be done in a grown-up like manor!

(btw, there are quite a few of these 318 images that show where #1 cylinder is located)

Keep in mind that firing order is one thing..... #1 cylinder location is another.
To my knowledge, REV rotation and/or alternate firing orders, do not change where #1 cylinder is located.

BCCLEW (the OP here) may later go on to ask about firing order.
But for now, he's asking about #1 cylinder location.

Last edited:
First,You insult my 318 parts motor!!:D.......Then talk about how to act

How bout YOU look this up .........and then apologize so we can move along:D:D

FLYWHEEL

I dont need fancy diagrams.............or talk about the side of the engine using nautical terms

So that diagram says the Flywheel end is the rear of the engine? or aft which means rear nautically,correct????
I would say that is correct!
We use FWD, AFT, Port and Starboard as to avoid confusion.

While Woodie's image does show the distributor as though it is up front, this would be more of a schematic..... not necessarily a correct physical layout.
And yes, it mentions the flywheel end as though it is the rear of the engine.
I believe that the intent is to show the firing order for STD LH (Port side) and REV RH (Stbd side) engines.... nothing else.

NOTE: their notation shows crankshaft rotation as though viewed from the FWD end of the engine. While they do get the rotation correct re; Port/Stbd........ the method is in error, and is quite contrary to Industry Standard, whereby engine rotation is always viewed from the Flywheel End! Car/truck/boat..... Industry Std suggests that these are all viewed from the flywheel end when determining rotation.
STD LH rotation = CCW direction
REV RH rotation = CW direction

Be that as it may, this still places the 318 #1 cylinder the furthest FWD, and Port side...... just as the first and last images in my post #6 do!

attachment.php

It does not matter if this engine was installed in a conventional direction for an I/B, an I/O or for a V-Drive..... the rear of the engine is generally referred to as the "flywheel end" of the engine.
(exception to this may be the odd ChrisCraft engine orientation and terminology)
But unless we're talking Chris Craft, we should be thinking Industry Standard.

Last edited:
You're right Rick, the rotation terminoligy standard didn't settle in 'till some time later. They are merely stating the direction of the crank as viewed from the front of the engine but that does cause confusion these days. It is now understood that the starboard engine in the above pic for example would be the notorious counter-rotater. Having said that, and I'll throw another wrench into the mix here, the counter-rotater is the engine that provides standard prop rotation (RH)!!??!!

Jeff, you really like being a SH*T disturber....don't even bring up those CC engines. Don't get me wrong, I like CC but what were they thinking man?? Not only do you have to sit and think about rotation for a minute, but they didn't follow the standard at the time either. Always liked watching a new owner trying to time one of those, thinking that number one faced the front of the boat!! By the way, saw those on wooden Pacemakers too.

Greasemonkey, spit it out man, what are you getting at? aft ,rear, flywheel, Rick, #1 cyl, 78 56 34 12, what?? Let us in on it, just come out and say it, maybe you know something we don't. I'm always willing to learn new tricks. I don't want to start anything but you're being very cryptic.

Verbatim from the Book(Service Manual Chrysler marine 225 LM318)

The number 1 cylinder is the front cylinder on the LEFT side when viewed FROM THE REAR of the engine looking towards the water pump

Verbatim from the Book(Service Manual Chrysler marine 225 LM318)

The number 1 cylinder is the front cylinder on the LEFT side when viewed FROM THE REAR of the engine looking towards the water pump

Isn't this exactly what Pete, Woodieman and myself suggested early on?
  • Flywheel end = rear of engine?
  • Engine Circulating pump = front of engine?
  • FWD-most Port side cylinder = #1?
images

I think that we're all in agreement! :D

Jeff, I can't say that I'll doubt you, but how about an image that shows this?

Verbatim from the Book (Service Manual Chrysler marine 225 LM318)

Let's disect the Service Manual Chrysler marine 225 LM318 verbiage for a minute here.
The number 1 cylinder is the front cylinder
Front of engine = the end where we'd find the circ pump, correct?
Same place where "the number 1 cylinder is the front cylinder on the LEFT side" ... correct?

on the LEFT side
Left side would = Port side.... correct?

when viewed FROM THE REAR of the engine
REAR of engine would = flywheel end.... correct?
The same end that we'd be standing at, or bending over, while looking foward to the front of the engine ..... correct?
If so, the oposite of the flywheel end must be the front end.... correct?

looking towards the water pump
Would this not = looking towards the circ pump end.... IOW, the front of the engine where again "the number 1 cylinder is the front cylinder on the LEFT side"?

OK OK..... I used some sarcasm, but only to make a point! :)
Don't get hung up on my sarcasm..... it's all in fun!

Hey, I'm open to learning that Chrysler may list this differently, but according to the Service Manual Chrysler marine 225 LM318 verbiage, it would suggest that #1 cylinder would be as shown in the above 318 image..... Yes/No?

I guess that the definitive answer would be in looking at where the TDC markings would align, and then looking to see which cylinder is up on TDC C/S.
Since #1 and #7 are only two cycles (firing orders) away from one another, a 360* error is unlikely.

In the absence of any shop manual, that would have been my first move at attempting to see where the OEM intended for #1 cylinder to be located.

If Fastjeff and Greasemonkey said it............ITS THE LAW:p:p
Its confusing as a Ricardo post!!......................thats how I got here in the first place!!!
What you need to read is when your standing on the flywheel side looking at the engine ...period
the first or the front set of cylinders (the ones in front when your looking at it) THE FRONT CYLINDER ON THE LEFT SIDE
Front is a ****ty word, the ones closest to you is what it should say
BTW** Im working on a 115 SUZUKISON 4 stroke that was sumbereged in Saltwater and beat up against the jetty rocks
I replace the engine wire harness....which he just happened to have
the starter which worked for about 3 days
couple relays,tilt and trim solenoids
changed the oil a couple times
Fires right up ..........every warning horn in the book is going off superficial stuff like Air Intake tempature....who cares about that really!!
heres a few pics

The OP should be good to go NOW.....we can sit back and admire some of the fine mechanical work layed in place by....

THE GREASE

Attachments

• IMG00431.jpg
    IMG00431.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG00428.jpg
    IMG00428.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 208
Are we talking about the same thing? Never heard of that before. If you're standing on the flywheel, number one is the furthest from you on left side. That's what I've always seen in every Chrysler MARINE manual and serviced.

Is everyone positively, unequivocally, definitely. unwaveringly, steadfastly, rigidly, undoubtedly, truly, unfalteringly, sure that #1 cylinder is the 1st cylinder @ the front of the engine on the port side??? I AM!!!

Are we talking about the same thing? Never heard of that before. If you're standing on the flywheel, number one is the furthest from you on left side. That's what I've always seen in every Chrysler MARINE manual and serviced.
Well, that's my way of thinking also, Woodie!

Its confusing as a Ricardo post!!......................thats how I got here in the first place!!!
I suspect that you got there on your own accord.
I think that a good mechanic, in the absence of any shop manual or good outside advice, would have done as I suggested in my previous post by aligning TDC markings.... and go from there!
Very simple and easy to do!

What you need to read is when your standing on the flywheel side looking at the engine ... period
the first or the front set of cylinders (the ones in front when your looking at it) THE FRONT CYLINDER ON THE LEFT SIDE
Front is a ****ty word, the ones closest to you is what it should say

Ok, let me see if I have this straight!
I'm standing at the stern of a boat.
In fact, I can reach forward and touch the stern.

So, if I understand this logic, and since the stern is now right in front of me, this would now be the front of the boat? :rolleyes:
I suppose that if I were to move to what I used to think of as the BOW, it too can become the Front!
So my options are now wide open, and we can have 2 front ends!

Ya learn sump'n new every day!

Of course, this could be a VEE drive installation. In that cae, the front of the motor would be aft and....

JKeff

Back