Logo

number one on chrysler marine 318

Mictat2214, in all fairness, let's re-examine the thread string here. It may help you see how you were in error.

You did say; 1st plug, port side forward!

JJ said; "Not if you have V-drives." (he's referring to your verbiage of "port side")
JJ said; "When looking at the timing marks on the flywheel, it's the furthest cylinder on the left side bank. All the time, every time."

Then you came back with; "Forward meaning the FRONT
of the engine" and you have now omitted the verbiage "Port Side".
(you can't have it both ways)

Then JJ came back and corrected you; "You said PORT side forward."

You then come back with; "Front of the engine is the end opposite the flywheel"
That appears to be a filibuster in that it does not address what JJ has been suggesting to you.

JJ then says; "To repeat myself again, you said PORT side. Do you know where port side is?"

At this point I went for popcorn, and secretly had a Margarita! :D

When I came back, I made this image to show how #1 cylinder may swap sides (port/stbd) when engine orientation changes.
It should be fairly clear as to what occurs.

In post #117 , I see two things:
1.... perhaps another filibuster skirting the actual issue.
2.... an opportunity to admit your error to JJ, but was passed up.

post #118, JJ can't help but see the filibuster. I can only assume that the rest of us do as well!

Mictat2214, this all boils down to your usage of the words "port side" in your first statement. Had you omitted "port side"........., you'd have been correct. But you did include "port side", and I believe that why JJ addressed it............. I may have also, had he not.

Words have meanings! :D

Mictat2214, in all fairness, let's re-examine the thread string here. It may help you see how you were in error.

You did say; 1st plug, port side forward!

JJ said; "Not if you have V-drives." (he's referring to your verbiage of "port side")
JJ said; "When looking at the timing marks on the flywheel, it's the furthest cylinder on the left side bank. All the time, every time."

Then you came back with; "Forward meaning the FRONT
of the engine" and you have now omitted the verbiage "Port Side".
(you can't have it both ways)

Then JJ came back and corrected you; "You said PORT side forward."

You then come back with; "Front of the engine is the end opposite the flywheel"
That appears to be a filibuster in that it does not address what JJ has been suggesting to you.

JJ then says; "To repeat myself again, you said PORT side. Do you know where port side is?"

At this point I went for popcorn, and secretly had a Margarita! :D

When I came back, I made this image to show how #1 cylinder may swap sides (port/stbd) when engine orientation changes.
It should be fairly clear as to what occurs.

In post #117 , I see two things:
1.... perhaps another filibuster skirting the actual issue.
2.... an opportunity to admit your error to JJ, but was passed up.

post #118, JJ can't help but see the filibuster. I can only assume that the rest of us do as well!

Mictat2214, this all boils down to your usage of the words "port side" in your first statement. Had you omitted "port side"........., you'd have been correct. But you did include "port side", and I believe that why JJ addressed it............. I may have also, had he not.

Words have meanings! :D

No comment... As I previously stated, " Finito for me "...

No comment... As I previously stated, " Finito for me "...
So......., even after having been offered a time line of events and quotes, you're still going to be.....................
images
?????

Let me see if I understand this correctly.....You guys are kidding me right? Looks like I haven't been missing much:p But I'll continue to pop in once in a while just to see if these two topics come up again because I like popcorn.

Now Jeff, how can you possibly avoid the humor here? :D Me thinks that if for no other reason at all, the humor makes this thread worth reading!

Perhaps an Intermission is in order!

I don't find any humor in ridiculing people by referencing them in pictures or questioning their intelligence... None of us are so perfect that we can walk on water... I thought this site was, unlike many others, above that kind of nonsense... Hopefully, I was not mistaken...

My apologies if you mistook the donkey or mule cartoon. The cartoon was to demonstrate stubbornness, not anything to do with intelligence..........., but I believe that you are still missing the piont here..... let me explain!
You are no doubt intelligent, but you are being stubborn in that after having JJ's comment explained to you several times, you are still not admitting to your error! Instead, you are now piling stubbornness upon stubbornness!

(see post 121 again)

If there is any ridiculing being done here, it's about stubbornness...... not intelligence.

Last edited:
Hi Rick,

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I would like to do some engine repair business with you but have been unsuccessful in locating your contact information. Please contact me at your earliest opportunity. I am located in Vancouver WA, somewhere near your area.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

how do I know if 318 is reverse rotation or not?
Its in my 1979 silverton 26 flybridge single engine with a v drive.
I just blew the motor and am thinking about buying a remanufactured.
I'm not sure if its a reverse rotation or not. how do I know which one to order?
This is how my boat firing order is set up now, I need to replace the engine,
I'm just trying to find out if my engine is a standard rotation or a reverse rotation.
Also, when I crank the engine the distributor rotor turns in a clockwise position.
Thank you for your time,
Eric

318 firing orders port and star2.jpg
So for real,
I'm just a shadetree mechanic and this forum has just got me very confused...
would mine be the one circled in green or the one circled in red ?

Eric, you certainly aren't in any trouble here..... but you have you resurrected a thread that was started over 4 years ago, and one that was started regarding the #1 cylinder position/location.
The #1 cylinder position has zero to do with Engine Rotation.

It would be best if you were to start a new thread!

That being said and as long as we're here:

Your image does show the correct location for #1.

NOTE: Engine rotation is always viewed as though looking at the flywheel end........ not the front of the engine!

If the front of the engine is used to explain rotation, it is out of the norm!

Also, whether a Std LH Rotation engine or a Reverse RH rotation engine, the typical V-8 ignition distributor will rotate in the Std Rotation direction due to the oil pump drive..... of which is not reversable.

This is a single engine boat, so you most likely have a Std LH Rotation engine.

Since you have a V-drive, the engine sits "flywheel end forward".
The rotation determination will use the same basic rule..... (I.E., viewed from the flywheel end)

Attachments

• Engine Rotation explained 2 .jpg
    Engine Rotation explained 2 .jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I apologise for hijacking the thread.
I will repost in a new post.
but I think you may have answered my question with the flywheel answer.
thank you for your time,
thank you again,
eric

It's been a long time but I STILL get a kick out of reading this thread. Best thread in the world. Couldn't have done it without GreaseM though. Fun times.

Was this case solved or is it still a Cold Case for GreaseM?;)

Keep up the good work guys.

Last edited:
Back