Logo

What Spare Part to Bring

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
Dave you started with a great list so I hope you don't mind that I paste it here...

The "what spare part to bring", is a great topic. Maybe should start a new thread for this one. But, I go off many dozens of miles into foreign lands with, admittedly, not much poundage of spares. For my Crusaders, I take 2 spare fuel filters, one set of belts, 1 raw water pump, some 1" and 1 1/4" hose, the little 90 deg coolant bypass hose, 1 choke thermostat, 2 impellers, 2 props and one spare fuel pump. The installed fuel pumps are 15 years old, and my engines are 1976 internals +/-. NOT taking spare starters, carbs, risers, alternators, prop shafts, etc. but do see value with those that do. If I was a single engine operation, I'd carry more, notably the starter.

Some of my issues have always been: Shucks ....I have it HOME... This pertained to my off road adventures in the 70's to vintage motorcycles. We were either way off the beaten path in a 4x4 or 100 miles from home on a 1930's Harley in the 1990's. Should something have broken, I could fix it IF IF IF I had the stuff there. As you can see packing was always a problem (particularly the bikes) The boat is merely an evolution of my phobia...Especially, that you can't just pull off the road. In addition to Dave's list above, I have 7 tool bags filled with 1/2 drive...3/8,, 1/4 drive, nut drivers, box wrenchs, open end, screw drivers, electrical stuff, meters, IR gun, hoses, I have a carb rebuild kit, spark plugs divided plastic cases filled with screws, nuts bolts, all stainless assorted junk, gaskets, bags of GFO packing, fuses, terminal ends, YES duct tape and bailing wire .... I think it is almost classifiable as an illness. This has to be REALLY cutting into my fuel consumption

Last edited:
Al:

It's a matter of personal preference or perhaps comfort. You are right, carrying extra mass only costs more fuel. We figured with twins, even 75 miles off the beach, we could get back in on one screw (if needed) unless the fuel system fouled. In that case, there isn't a spare 250 gallon fuel tank so the VHF would be invoked. Now, there was a significant "spare parts accumulation" in the local friends garage or the truck when we went to Hatteras. same for the bulk of the tools - the onboard tool chest is an old fishing tackle box (small) that isn't more than 12" x 6" x 6".

The other viable option we have for several years was a fishing buddy who was a welder. His work truck had a 454 and he had all critical spares on the truck along with an air compressor and a very adequate tool selection....we pulled his top end in under 4 hours one day and put it back together the following evening when he got back from the machine shop.

Now that is a quick change and as you just stated....when you need the right tools, you got 'em. I absolutley agree with your comments particularly about the "comfort level" Despite the fact it takes me 4 more trips up and down the dock to load and uload my tools, I feel more at ease knowing I could wrench something in or out. The price we pay for lunacy....uh, sanity

Back