Logo

Proper Trailer/boat adjustments

02603sec

I have a 27 Formula SR-1 on a 32' Load Rite Trailer with rollers. The rollers are set on 2 pivot points. My skeg has about 15” to ground clearance, lowest point in the stern is 18”. The bottom of the bow sits about 27” above ground clearance.
I’ve had the boat for about 4 years and I don’t think it was ever trailored much. I have to back my truck rear axles into the water, each time I load and unload. I’m wondering if there is some kind of lowering kit ( for the rollers and pivots) for the trailer, to make it easier to launch? Looks like I can take it down about 6 inches in the front, but it is already on the lowest points. Any suggestions short of a different trailor?

Attachments

• formula pier 47.jpg
    formula pier 47.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 119
Raise the ball hitch up (turn it over, if it's the offset kind?). The higher the trailer tongue, the deeper the stern will be in the water, and the boat will float off the trailer sooner.

I boat in the chuck, so backing the truck wheels into the water isn't an option for me. :)

Port side.jpg

My trailer is a bunk trailer, and as you can see, my 2550 Chap sits considerably lower on the trailer than yours does. Maybe you can get her lower, keel closer to trailer cross members and sitting on keel rollers, keeping sides of hull just off the trailer fenders. Are your fenders attached to the trailer frame, or do they move with the axles? When connected to truck, I can't lower the drive all the way, as the skeg will just touch the ground and I need to disconnect and lower tongue to lower drive completely. When I back down most ramps, rear truck tires barely touch water water. If ramp has a shallow slope, I sometimes hit brakes a little hard when backing and boat will slide right off, but retrieving needs trailer a little deeper, especially if ramp forbids "powering on" the trailer.

These "larger" boats present a whole different series of methods the smaller ones don't encounter.

Last edited:
Back