Logo

white smoke or steam coming from port exhause manifold 454 Crusader

contender31

Regular Contributor
Hi again fired up the port engine on my 1990 454 350 hp Crusader today to find a small amount of either steam or smoke coming from what appears to be between the exhause manifold and the head. Any idea what it might be?

Thanks in advance

Smoke is more likely than steam at that point. Is it real hot? and, is there a tapping type of noise in that area?
THe exhaust manifold gaskets are notorious for needing a retorqueing after a new install. Good chance that now it needs a new gasket.

Tks I will try and tighten them and see if the problem goes away if not I will have to replace the gasket. There is no harm running it like it is is there? I have a trip planned to the keys in 1 week and dont really want to get into taking off the manifolds at this time.

Tks for the response

Based on exactly what Dave has mentioned we had some very slight but viewable steam coming from the exhaust manifold on one engine after startup and as it heated, parts expanded enough to create a better seal. Re-tightening the manifold was the cure. It had been after a rebuild and had apparantly loosened just enough to weep

FYI this engine is the engine that I overheated last year for a short period of time. Since that time I replaced the raw water pump, belts and it runs appr. 5 degrees hotter than the starboard engine. The port runs at 172 while the starboard runs at 165

Back