Logo

2005 BF225 quits when shifting into neutral

Tomfrmnh

I have a 2005 Honda 225 that has started this issue. The issue is when slowing down from high throttle setting, shifting into neutral the engine quits. No alarms, no lights it just shuts down. it will start right up, idle fine and no issues going from idle to full throttle. Just happens when slowing. If I am deliberate and pull power back very slowly from about 1500 rpm with no issues. I can go from high power setting to 1500 with no problems. Any thoughts? I have posted on several other sites and no responses. Just found this one and there seems to be a lot of knowledge here. Thanks in advance

Tom

That's a new one on me. My first instinct is that your neutral safety switch is malfunctioning, has a loose wire, or is set incorrectly. If you have a Helm shop manual, the set up procedure is in chapter 3. Find where your shift cable attaches to the shift arm - it's an odd shaped metal plate. A lobe on that plate activates or deactivates the neutral safty switch, depending on the position of the helm control shift lever. Make sure the wires to that switch are clean and tight, and that the switch is anchored properly in it's mount. Put your shifter in neutral and make sure the switch activates properly. There should be a plug to the wires and you can check when it has continuity and when it does not through the shift range.

The other possibilities are the emergency fuel cut off relay, or the deceleration fuel cutout, but either of those should set off an alarm and give you a red MIL light.

That's a new one on me. My first instinct is that your neutral safety switch is malfunctioning, has a loose wire, or is set incorrectly. If you have a Helm shop manual, the set up procedure is in chapter 3. Find where your shift cable attaches to the shift arm - it's an odd shaped metal plate. A lobe on that plate activates or deactivates the neutral safty switch, depending on the position of the helm control shift lever. Make sure the wires to that switch are clean and tight, and that the switch is anchored properly in it's mount. Put your shifter in neutral and make sure the switch activates properly. There should be a plug to the wires and you can check when it has continuity and when it does not through the shift range.

The other possibilities are the emergency fuel cut off relay, or the deceleration fuel cutout, but either of those should set off an alarm and give you a red MIL light.

Chawk',
Thank you for the response. I hadn't thought about the neutral safety switch. The engine will shift from idle forward to neutral fine. What is the purpose of the safety switch?

The neutral switch will not let you start the engine when it is in gear. In other words, it is a cut off switch. And if it is not working properly, it can cut off when you decelerate. To diagnose the other possibilities, you really should get a helm shop manual.

Back