Logo

2008, 150 HP thrust bearing failure

captainpete

I am dealing with my second one of these failures in as many years. Seems the thrust bearing fails causing the vertically spinning crank to drop. I am advised that this was a problem which they fixed but it seems not. As I understand, the basic engine is designed after the automobile engine and was designed for the crank to spin horizontally. In this vertically aligned application on the outboard, they did not beef up the thrust bearings enough, so the bearing fails due to under design. The crank drops downward to the point where the fly wheel is eating into the components beneath it. THis particular engine overheats, I suspect because the piston skirts are starting to rub.

I will be inspecting it tomorrow for the owner and his insurance company. Was wondering if anyone might have info on this. Would greatly appreciate it if you could e mail it to me because I will be out in the field tomorrow [email protected]

THanks

auto mechanic told me the same , in an auto engine is horizontal position, but turn it on end thrust bearing has additional pressure, i am having same problem with my port engine. how long till my starboard has problem? These motors have a good rep. I hope

honda makes good

Back