Logo

f200 four stoke 2003 just died wont restart has spark +fuel canot hear fuel pump running

I just replaced the VST pump in my F150 and if you can't hear it running when you turn the ignition on it probably isn't running....as I didn't hear mine and when I put the new one in I did.

First check the fuel rail pressure as stated above. Even if you don't have a gauge depress the schrader valve pin to release pressure if there is any and after pumping up ball to make sure gas is in the VST bowl turn the ignition on again and see if any pressure has built up. If not pump isn't running.

I then checked voltage coming to the pump by disconnecting the harness and found that 12-13 volts was coming for about 3 seconds when the ignition was turned on.

I then checked the resistance through the pump and it read open. As you aren't popping fuses you don't have a shorted pump and it's probably bad brushes that will read as an open circuit (infinite resistance).

Good Luck

I don't know how the f200 is set up, but I should add that the harness that I did the voltage and resistance checks through was on the outside of the manifold next to the injector harnesses. This allowed checking the pump without removing the manifold which is handy as removing the intake manifold on the F150 is a PITA. There is a harness/plug on the pump itself along with the harness I used on the outside of the manifold.

Back