Logo

89 bayliner 2.3 L cobra please help

BoaterBill

I have an 89 bayliner capri with a ford 2.3L cobra inboard motor. Just bought it this spring and was taking it out regularly, then I ran into a problem. We were out on the river all day, and when we pulled into the marina, the engine died. I tried to re start it but nothing. Then I tried to restart again and all I get is a click sound, and it doesn't even try to turn over. After the click, all electrical devices on the boat no longer work at all.

I replaced the battery, and all the electric stuff (horn, blower ect.) all work fine. I try to start it again and- click- (coming from the motor). After the click, all electrical functions quit again. I turn the key again and it won't even click.

If I disconnect the battery, then reconnect it, all electric is back until I try to start it, get the click sound, and all dies again until you disconnect and reconnect the battery, must be resetting some breakers when you do that I guess.

We cleaned every piece of copper on the battery cables and the battery itself, and on the power cable running to the starter, still nothing.

I removed the starter and had it tested at auto zone, they said it works so i put it back on. I took off my alternator and they do not know how to test it. I called a few boat part shops, they don't have a machine to test it. I'm thinking of ordering a new one.

Does anybody know what my problem might be?

Sounds more like a bad battery cable or conection. check the ground cable where it bolts to the block it may be loose or corroded. You could run a jumper cable from the battery neg to the block.

Sounds more like a bad battery cable or conection. check the ground cable where it bolts to the block it may be loose or corroded. You could run a jumper cable from the battery neg to the block.

I had a similar problem several years ago, it turned out to be the BIG round cable connector on the left side of the engine ( looking from the stern) try pulling that apart and cleaning the connections.

Hope this works for you.

Back