MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Default 89 bayliner 2.3 L cobra please help

I have an 89 bayliner capri with a ford 2.3L cobra inboard motor. Just bought it this spring and was taking it out regularly, then I ran into a problem. We were out on the river all day, and when we pulled into the marina, the engine died. I tried to re start it but nothing. Then I tried to restart again and all I get is a click sound, and it doesn't even try to turn over. After the click, all electrical devices on the boat no longer work at all.

I replaced the battery, and all the electric stuff (horn, blower ect.) all work fine. I try to start it again and- click- (coming from the motor). After the click, all electrical functions quit again. I turn the key again and it won't even click.

If I disconnect the battery, then reconnect it, all electric is back until I try to start it, get the click sound, and all dies again until you disconnect and reconnect the battery, must be resetting some breakers when you do that I guess.

We cleaned every piece of copper on the battery cables and the battery itself, and on the power cable running to the starter, still nothing.

I removed the starter and had it tested at auto zone, they said it works so i put it back on. I took off my alternator and they do not know how to test it. I called a few boat part shops, they don't have a machine to test it. I'm thinking of ordering a new one.

Does anybody know what my problem might be?

Default Re: 89 bayliner 2.3 L cobra please help

Sounds more like a bad battery cable or conection. check the ground cable where it bolts to the block it may be loose or corroded. You could run a jumper cable from the battery neg to the block.
    Jeff:cool:

Quote Originally Posted by kountzelightdiesel View Post
    Sounds more like a bad battery cable or conection. check the ground cable where it bolts to the block it may be loose or corroded. You could run a jumper cable from the battery neg to the block.
    I had a similar problem several years ago, it turned out to be the BIG round cable connector on the left side of the engine ( looking from the stern) try pulling that apart and cleaning the connections.

Hope this works for you.

Did you also clean the ground (negative) cable connection at the engine and battery?
    Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching