Logo

Starting a flooded engine.

jaseihc

Contributing Member
RE:MFS9.8A3S.Any way to start this engine after i flood it.If i let it sit for at least 30 mins.it will usually
start,but not always.

The only 2 ways that you would flood the fuel system would be if you had the choke on when unneeded, or if the carb needle and float assembly is not limiting the fuel at the correct level in the bowl. If the former, stop choking when not needed. If the latter, have the carb serviced by your dealer (or get a kit and do the service yourself). To restart when flooded, open the throttle all the way (with no choke), to admit as much air as possible, and crank the motor until the excess fuel is expelled. If the plugs are soaking wet, you can dry them first (with compressed air, or laid out in the hot sun), to aid starting.

This only happens at the initial start up for the day and not very often.Is it possible to over prime this engine?It seems to happen when i am in a hurry to get going and not minding what i am doing.I also run the carb dry at the end of the day.Would it be of any benefit to pull the drain plug on the carb to expell the remaining fuel?
Thanks for the help.

Some motors will fire up / start with the choke closed and then stall ( flooded with too much fuel ).----------------The choke has done its job and now you open the choke.------- Pull a few more times and it it should fire up and keep running.

This only happens at the initial start up for the day and not very often.Is it possible to over prime this engine?It seems to happen when i am in a hurry to get going and not minding what i am doing.I also run the carb dry at the end of the day.Would it be of any benefit to pull the drain plug on the carb to expell the remaining fuel?
Thanks for the help.

No. But if the needle is not seating, you could be overflowing with fuel. If so, you would probably notice that.
No; not necessary to get the last teaspoon out.
See my earlier post.

Back