Logo

Tilt Motor and Clutch repair

GerryLeeA

A local shop took my tilt clutch apart. It was full of water. I have an idea on how to reassemble it. But, how do I know if I need a clutch pack?Does it take any kind of lubricant? How do I go about sealing it so water doesn't get into it? Thanks, Gerry

The year is '77 OMC. I have a manual. Yes, I was going to look it up. But I was already on the Internet and though someone might have son good advice. I'll check out the link. Thanks, Gerry

get the right year one.

How to fix stringer tilt problems!

So you have a stringer out drive that won't tilt up, or it tilts up very slowly, or you need to help it up physically. Maybe it doesn't move at all.

Here is a step bye step guide to fixing it. A manual would be very helpful.

1- A fully charged battery is imperative.

2- Disconnect the battery and clean the battery posts. Are the cables good?

3- With the battery disconnected, clean all the connections on the port side, solenoids. Don't forget the grounds.

4- Clean connections to tilt motor. Two wires.

5- Connect the battery.

6- On the out drive port side, there is a clutch housing. Four screws hold on
cover. Pull that cover. May be full of water. They all leak.

Two things you can do at this time.

A- Clean out the housing with clutch installed.

B- Remove the clutch and rebuild the housing. New seals.

If you chose A, Spray the clutch with brake cleaner. Make sure it's as clean as you can get it. You might have to spray it a few times. Blow it dry. Spray the the clutch with penetrating oil. Pack the housing with grease, and install cover. Don't over tighten the screws, can bind the clutch.

If you chose B, remove all the components of the gear housing. Soak everything in Acetone overnight. Rebuild housing, new seals. Blow dry the parts, soak them all in motor oil for a hour or two. Install parts. Pack the housing with grease. I know it calls for 30 weight motor oil. Trust me pack it with grease. Install cover.

7- Gently pry off the rubber bumpers. Don't mix them up, pump grease in the zerks. Install bumpers.

At this point the drive should move up and down easy. If it doesn't, you need to pull the tilt motor. Test motor and replace or rebuild. Make sure the hammer blow coupler is good or replace. Don't forget the gasket, on the tilt motor. .

Good luck!​

When I took the outdrive into a local shop I told them the outdrive needed diagnosed for not pumping water and it slowly dropped down. I scraped up a good prop because it drug on the payment. I now have to have the prop rebuilt. I choose option B since the tilt motor works fine. This is the best advice so far. thanks, Gerry

ALWAYS use a safety line for your stern drive. It is only the clutch that holds it up off the highway. A simple line with a bowling loop around the end , tied to the boat rail will save you much grief. Cheers

Back