Logo

502 MPI gen V diagnostic

02603sec

Hi Saturday morning was my first time out this year. 271 Sr-1 502 gen V bravo 1. It fires on the first crank. Let it warm up to 175, and oil pressure is pretty much around 40-60. WOT 5000 rpms, it runs about 52 mph on my 22P B1 (GPS). Being quite pleased with the way it's running I put 10 gals at the marina, hoping to enrich the old gas in the tank. I was holding 25 gallons of last years stabilized gas. I went back out and experienced surge for the first time ever on this boat. 5000 rpm for 3-4 secs then drops to 4800 for 1 sec and back up to 5000.
When I backed down the throttle to 3200, it surged between 3200 and 3000 with the same frequency. I was within a minute of the marina, and pulled up to a dock, at idle 800 rpm the surge was barely noticeable, while at 1000, it was surging again. I pulled the boat out. While at home, I started and ran it on the muffs at idle for about 10 mins, no surge. Took off the fuel filter for analysis. Poured the gas into a glass jar, it was golden, no signs of rust or water. The filter material was a normal color. The gas didn't smell like varnish, but didn't smell sweet either. What should I do to narrow down my problem?

Try fresh fuel in a portable gas tank and hook it up at the engine. If problem goes away, it's fuel related and can be anything from engine to and including the tank and hardware such as anti-siphon valve and or bad fuel.

Thanks woodieman. I put in some water absorber and a new gas/water filter as well as a new impeller. Let it run for 15 minutes on the muffs, no surging. fingers crossed for the next outing. I hate the thought of draining that tank.

been a week or two, I ran it today back and forth between a couple buoys that were about 2500 meters apart. Starts right up and runs smooth. First couple of laps, 3000-3500 rpm, smooth as silk. next couple laps, 4000 - smooth... then wot 4800 and rising, and it lost power for an eyeblink, so I powered down to 3000 and smooth. lifted the bonnet, and everything looked normal. 2 more laps at 4000, smooth. Back to WOT 4800, and a severe momentary loss of power, which caused the steering wheel to yank to the starboard. Powered down to 2500 and cruised to the marina. Let it run at the dock, and smooth. Is this still the bad gas? Maybe I chunked into submerged debris on the river? 25-40 feet deep. please advise.

The only way to know for sure is to hook up a portable tank at the engine as suggested. Common proceedure, do it so you could pursue a fuel issue or move on to a different system.

Back