Logo

Remote handle 1988 OMC-How to disasemble

Ed P.

First time poster here. I need to replace the trim/tilt switch on my 1988 OMC remote handle and can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the handle. I've looked at all the diagrams but still cant see how it comes off. I took the remote box off and removed an allen screw that looks like it should be holding the handle on but I can't get it off. I don't want to pry too hard and break it. Any sugestions?
Thanks,
Ed P.

First time poster here. I need to replace the trim/tilt switch on my 1988 OMC remote handle and can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the handle. I've looked at all the diagrams but still cant see how it comes off. I took the remote box off and removed an allen screw that looks like it should be holding the handle on but I can't get it off. I don't want to pry too hard and break it. Any sugestions?
Thanks,
Ed P.

Hi Ed,

I am in similar situation. I was able to get Allen screw out but it didn't seem to be what holds the handle to the control box. A mystery to me. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Steve M.

Loosen the screw 2 turns ----give it a bump with a punch / hammer and the handle will pop off the taper.---------Remove screw and handle will be in your hands.

Last edited:
Back