Logo

Have 5.5 hp evinrude fisherman but dont know year!

Timmy Culbert

I've been trying to figure out what year my outboard motor is with little success. Its a 5.5 hp evinrude fisherman. I wanted to check the lower unit oil but dont have a manual and dont want to mess it up to be honest. So i was looking for an online PDF manual, with no luck. The serial number on it is 204393. I couldnt find a model number. and i've narrowed it down to 1956-1964. If anyone can help i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks! Tim

There should be a small plate on the port (left) transom bracket with the model and serial number on it. A picture of the engine and particuarly of the hood would be a help.

Where did you get the number you entered?

I located the serial number under the handle that's used to lift the motor out of the water, on the back of the cover. I also noticed it stamped on the inside of the motor housing. The motor is actually put together from one good lower unit and one slightly newer top. The original top half blew last summer and we found, what we were told, the last one around this area in Maine, to fix the blown motor. I included two pictures. I'll have to go get another picture of the top half of the motor, without the cover, since it was replaced. At that time, I'll check for a model number. Hope the included pictures give you some reference.
2011-06-05 10.40.32.jpg

motor hole.jpg Text is kinda hard to read, but the Red circle is the hole.

The cover makes it appear to be a 1960 model.-----If it has a medallion with 50th on it then it is a 59.-------------------old omc site------ has all the pictures for reference.

Found the serial plate, honestly dont know how i missed it. Serial is 5518-11082. By looking at the actual motor part of the above pictures, can anyone tell me what year that is? The marine shop i purchased it from thought it was a year newer then the motor I had blown. Heads matched up, just had to convert it to a carburetor.

Thanks! Now that I've found the lower unit year, can you tell me by looking at the pictures what year the head is? The original had exhaust piping in the front that wrapped around both sides, this "newer" one does not have that setup. so i know its not the same year. Also, how do you check the lower unit oil on these? do you leave it upright and unscrew the fill plug and tip it to check? Do you lay it on its side and remove the fill plug to check it? I dont want to ruin the lower half of this motor since its still in good working condition, i've just never checked the lower unit oil and am guessing shuold be done every couple years. Since this will be the second summer it'll be used, i'd like to make sure everything is kosher on it before she touches the lake. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the help all. I've found out the year of both the head (1964) and the lower unit (1959) Now.... on to a PDF of the manuals... or am i searching for a hair in a meadow?

Back