Logo

1986 pro v 150 no power

inspectortag

The motor has seen limited use the last 8 yrs ( 20 hrs a season ) and has developed a no power issue , wont rev above 1500 rpms in forward . When at the landing it will rev fine with the warm up throttle but as soon as you go to move forward it wont rev above 1500 rpms . Done some of the simple things like cleaning the fuel filter was a little dirty , plugs looked ok . I am not afraid to tear into the carbs if need be and what if any thing might I be looking for when I do so . Or any other suggestions please comment .

Tim

Before you dive into the carbs check that the timing is advancing. The part under the flywheel is moved by an arm which is connected to the throttle cable. That arm needs to move all the way to the stop screw. Sometimes the timer seizes under the flywheel and sometimes the advance arm pivot will seize and although the timing advances it won't let the carbs open fully. Simple thing to check first. Do it with the motor off.

Thanks for the reply PBRMAN
Heres where I am at so far with the problem , PBR I checked what you recomended and all looked ok with that function ( thanks for the reply ) .
I decided to tear into the carbs and glad I did as thier was no way the motor would have ran with as much of the jets blocked off , might as well have had a cob of corn in evey carb hole . Some of this might be my fault as well , ( poor winterization , bad fuel ) the engine sits here in wis stored for 8 - 9 months out of the year , so I need to winterize real gooooood .
I will take to the lake tomorrow and see how it runs and post back the results here .
Thanks again PBRMAN for the reply .

Tim

Well after taking the carbs apart a second time I found the bottom right hi speed jet was blocked off , must have been junk left in the fuel line when I cleaned the carbs the 1st time . makes sense that the engine would only run 4500 rpms but do so smoothly as one cylinder was not making any power .
All is good to go now , but lesson learned here is store the engine properly ( my fault ) , put non ethanol fuel in where available , and treat the fuel with the new types of fuel treatments for ethanol when I know its in the fuel .

Tim

Yup , I know I was lucky . I didnt run the engine for to long when I had it out .
Thanks again for helping out , now for the oil in the lake problem .

Tim

The system keeps pumping the oil from the main oil tank to the engine tank and does no t stop when its supposed to ( it would keep pumping the oil till the main tank is empty ) . I have replaced the sending unit in the engine oil tank as I thought the sensor was not showing the main tank that it is full of oil , but that did not fix the problem . I will get the beast out of the garage next weekend and have another go at the problem .
The fuel pumps are original yet , but I may replace them just to be safe with the fuels these days .

Tim

Any way to test that to see for sure , I have over 500 invested in parts that did not repair the problem and you cannot return electrical components .
Sorry I dont reply back sooner than I do , i work pretty late every nite .

I wasn't aware you had changed both the float switch and controler already. Those are the only components that shut off the pump. You are down to finding a high resistance ground or wire harness problem as in broken wire. Hope you have a schematic.

Back