Logo

Removing a starter from a port Crusader 454

4captnt

Are there any tricks for removing a starter from a port Crusader 454. Using a remote switch the starter spins but does not engage. I bought a breaker bar to a 5/8 socket but there is not enough clearance to us this set up. HELP!!

I seem to remember an offset box wrench did the job for us. Also seem to recall the standard slave setup/master circuit breaker location limited access to the outboard fastener...pretty sure that was the driver for rearranging that stuff when we did the overhauls.

Don't be surprised if the stud comes out with the nut.

the box wrench will work but with no room to spare! as soon as it starts to get loose you will be able to more the bracket that is blocking you to gain a little better access

Just wondering how the removal of your starter went. I have to remove mine from the port 454 Crusader on my 33' Viking. It's real tight in there, so any advice such as special tools or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry

Have you guys gotten stranded when the starter(s) went or did it give you enough warning? Like a lot of us, I carry a lot of spares. Not sure I want to carry two starters though unless I wanted to play the 50/50 game on which one goes :)

Bob

I had a bendix shear one time, deep in the Abacos, on a single engine (Chrysler 440) boat. The engine did have a manifold raw water leak into a cylinder that was responsible for that failure. On the GM engines, I have not personally suffered a sudden, without warning, starter failure. Even the various defective neutral start switches and remote solenoids have given some warning. Oh yeah, I do carry a spare BW neutral start switch. They last me about 8 years.

This is going to sound made up as the odds are quite high BUT: When experimenting with props, we were about 8 miles from our dock and 1 mile from the Little Egg Inlet when we spun the prop key and lost the propulsion power from that running and starting engine. Seconds later the starter failed on the engine with the good prop so even with a running engine, we had NO propulsion...BoatUS towed us in. Of course we have one starter CW and the other CCW, who knows which may fail, we would need to carry both

I had the same problem and just got it off. The Stanless Steel plate over the opening to the flywheel is in the way take a pair of plyers and bend it up just past the botom plan of the suport bracket for the main breaker and their is just enough room for a 7/16 open end wrench to get it to the nut and be patent once you crack the nut loose it is a breeze.

You checked starter with remote switch, but you neglected to say what it did with ign. switch. If remote is hooked up to wrong wire...it will only spin the armature.

July 4th, had family over and my brother wanted to hear the engines, (Crusaders 350). Sounded good but after the starboard engine quit for unknown reasons, I restarted it and a couple of times fired up and quit. Then (oh no) the gagues went bezerk and then nothing. Port engine died at this time. Neither engine would crank. After awhile, I troubleshot the engine and wow! the batter cable was melted. Removed the starter, had it rebuilt, and ready to reinstall it. Question is, does the electric for both engines run through the 50A breaker on the starboard engine. It also shut down one of the circuits for the interior DC. Had to jump the dead circuit to the operating one. Also, had to remove everything from the rear of the engine to access the starter.
Thanks

Back