Logo

Volvo Penta Aq 231 A Electrical Problem

TimH615

Hoping someone can help with a stubborn electricla probelm on my 1990 Volvo Penta AQ 231 A. Not a mechanic by trade but do have a reasonable common sense about trouble shooting something like this.
Problem began with an unexpected stall while underway that found no electrical supply to accessories or ignition. Back at the dock, couple of things became evident. A manifold mounted 40 amp circut breaker and relay assembly was, apparently, overheating for some time as the wires were melted and one heavily rusted. The circut breaker was hot and terminals hot enough to burn skin. Pressed and reset red circut breaker. Power to accessories restored, no ignition. Half hour later (apparently when cooled) starter engaged, engine started, ran smooth. Shut down after 30 seconds.
Replaced bith the relay andf circut breaker and stripped wires back to the point I saw clean, untarnished, shiney wire, reassembled.......no power to accessories or starter?
Using 12 v tester, find power all over the engiBoat Parts 6-11020_edited.jpgne ..to and from the circut breaker, starter, and exiting via the 'red' wire from the relay. Under the dash, no power anywhere (other than the VHF radioBoat Parts 6-11023.jpg)......have shaken, rattled, and rolled every wire and connection I can see to no avail.
Does anybody have any suggestions on where to look .......I have included picture of where the relay and circut breaker are on the engine as well as individual pics of the items replaced .... Boat Parts 6-11014.jpg

The red button circuit breaker is a Cole Hersee.
Easy to find, be sure to match the ampere rating.
Be sure to replace the cable ends.
And definitely find out what was causing the circuit over-load.

The relay is very likely for your ignition start by-pass circuit.
It provides a full 12 v to the ignition coil during cranking only.

Ricardo ....did replace the Cole Hersee. One cable end was badly corroded while the other looked ok .......so only replaced one ...will try replacing the other. I also replaced the relay pictured in my post .......... assuming the cable end might not be the sanswer ...any other suggestions? ......and, would the bad cable end effect all accessories or just ignition?? .......
Thank you for your reply .......

Matter resolved ....was a dislodged wire in the wiring harness connector ...simple to fix ...tough to find ....thank you for you relies.
TimH

Like Rick said, the connection got hot for a reason, that needs to be investigated. I'd keep an eye on the breaker's temp for a while. It may have been just a bad connection that caused the over heat but just to be safe, feel it once in a while.

Thanks Rick ......ran the boat today for 3 hours, after docking, felt switch and no aparent heat build up. One of the connectors was so corroded, it was clearly the souce of the heat. A second aside, for two seasons, I have had questions regarding the charging system of the boat with the amp guage rarel incing above 12 volts, replaced alternator, then voltage regulator, batteries ..you get the picture ...witht eh replacement of the 'Cole Hersee' and attached relay, surprizingly, the volt meter now reads 14+ volts after start up and drifts back to @ 13 once underway for a while .......I have concluded the corrosion on the Hersee was also hindering the current for the rest of the system .......nevertheless, your advice is well taken and I will keep my eye on the breaker throughout the season ...Thanks again!! ....

Back