Logo

Cam timing 2.3 ford engine

wmlaks

Regular Contributor
I am rebuilding a 2.3 that the oiol pump shaft broke in. I have been unable so far to find out any info on the camshaft. The info that I am looking for is cam lift centerline duration and at what degrees the intake and exhaust cams open at for the marine cam in this engine. I have found specs for all types of cams expect for the marine. any information is greatly apperiated. thanks Michael

you're grinding your own?
you want specs or how to time it? thread title doesn't match subject

the main thing that I am looking for is the intake and exhaust vale openong numbers so I can set the valve timing. the other info is so I can make sure that it is a marine cam that is in this engine. the engine was a reman and the owner of the boat does not know who or when the motor was replaced. thanks Michael

well the stock cam has .390 lift on both intake and exh.
I still don't understand valve timing.... you just time the cam
point the crank sprocket triangle at the notch on the deflector shieldy thing
then align the mark on the cam sprocket what the manual calls the "grid" - looks like a rake
then install distributor
then put the belt on and tension it

I'm just reading the manual - I wouldn't do this work without following it - the tensioning procedure is pretty specific.

I a installing an adjustable cam gear which will allow me to fine tune the cam timing. that Is why I would like to know at what degrees the intake and exhaust valves open. I also want to make sure that the engine has a marine cam in it

Last edited:
Back