Logo

1975 Chris Craft Catalina - starter issues

Lalliae

I have a 1976 35 ft catalina. I have been having issues with the starter getting it's teeth chewed up. and the starter has been rebuilt and replaced several times over the past few years, and we even had the big fly wheel replace and yet it has occured again. Any ideas??​

I have a question for you, not related to your motor issue, but as an owner you may be able to help me - I have purchased a catalina and I am now working my way through the boat to understand how most of it works and struggle with the water system - is there any chance you would be able to point me in the direction of some operators manual tyep info?
Cheers
Steve

I have a 1976 35 ft catalina. I have been having issues with the starter getting it's teeth chewed up. and the starter has been rebuilt and replaced several times over the past few years, and we even had the big fly wheel replace and yet it has occured again. Any ideas??​
I have a 1975 35 ft Aft Cabin with Chris Craft 350 's (Chevy) engines. Replaced the Port Starter last winter. To me it sounds like you need to shim the starter. The starter gear needs a little clearance between it and the flywheel ringgear. With the engine in the boat its very hard to measure the clearance. If you hear the Flywheel "ring" after starting its a good indication that the starter needs more clearance. Hope I could help.Good Luck.

I have a 1976 35 ft catalina. I have been having issues with the starter getting it's teeth chewed up. and the starter has been rebuilt and replaced several times over the past few years, and we even had the big fly wheel replace and yet it has occured again. Any ideas??
If these are being rebuit (as apposed to being replaced), they are likely the OEM Bendix Drive motors.
A Bendix Drive system relies on armature torque to kick the pinion gear into the flywheel ring gear.
IOW, the pinion gear is already rotating when it engages into the flywheel ring gear.
This may be what's chewing up the gears!
If so, this is extremely old technology by today's standards.

I'd be willing to bet that if you were to replace these with HTGR/PMGR motors (high torque-gear reduction w/solenoid arm action), your ring gear issues would go away.
These are available for I/B installations.

Back