Logo

!982 Galxy No Power(FOAM????)

I have a 1982 Galaxy that has in the last season lost power and is very sluggish.I went to see a mechanic to replace the 120 h.p. engine and he asked if I knew whether the hull was a foam filled hull.He told me he had this issue with several different models around this year that were trying to compete with Boston Whaler but did not use the correct foam and when it is saturated adds a lot of wieght to the boat.Anyone know if this model and year has a foam filling.

My cuddy citation 86' has the same hull. I found foam after i cut a hole in the deck of the cuddy.

I ripped it all out and installed 2 ss plates with holes drilled into them over the holes to let the hull vent. I had the ss, but you could buy deck hatch's with vents. Or cut the holes at a angle and make a plug out of the center wood left over from the cut.

I wanted a way for the hull to dry out.

You have to be aware how close to the hull before cutting you don't want to go thru the hull.

If it sits low in the water, that's a good sign it has gotten wet. Unfortunately, this is a death blow to the boat since the foam is in every nook and cranny. You cannot get it all out without cutting the boat open. Plus, you don't know where the leak comes from. Drill a small 1/4" test hole and poke a dowel rod in to see if it comes out wet. If it's dry reseal the hole with 5200 or Marine Tex. If it's wet, well....

I tackled this problem once. Let me say unless you have a lot of patients,money and time, and the boat has some special meaning to you- it is not worth it. I completely gutted an 84 century mustang 195 down to the outer hull. It took months of weekend and evenings to get her tore down, rebuilt and ready for the water again. It also gets expensive to do it the right way. The proper wood, fiberglass and resin, foam, etc is costly, and when done you will have a nice boat, but still old as far as resale goes. On the positive side- it gives you the opportunity to set up the boat exactly as you want it - seating, livewell, lights where you want them without exposed wires anywhere, everything conformed to the way you want your boat to be. If you do have saturated foam, and plan on tackling the project- be 100% positive your stringers and transom, motor mounts etc. are still good. If they are not near perfect- they will give you trouble down the road unless you replace them now, then all your hard work, time, and money are wasted.
Just my 2 cents.......

Thank You all for the help.It looks like my boat will be recieving a new live well and several new hatches.Not what I want to hear in June when the Stripers are eating out of your hand in the Narragansett Bay but,"IT IS WHAT IT IS"

Thanx John

Good luck, and remember take it slow and don't compromise anything- Rushing that job, or taking a short cut will lead to troubles later! And while you got the motor out, might as well give it a good going over as well!

Back