Logo

Pierburg Electric Fuel Pump

Conundrum

When losing power to my starboard engine I looked at my fueld pump and noticed it wasn't the standard CRU22898, but rather a Rubber encased pump and I think it is the Pierburg 47039. I have 97 454 XLI engines. Is this a common pump. It costs twice as much as the OEM crusader pump. All the engine diagrams do not show this pump. I think these are also used in Porche engines. As usual the non marine pump is about 50% of the marine version. Why are these installed are they factory or not? All help is appreciated.

My experience so far...

I have a 2001 5.7 Captain's Choice (330hp MPI) with a fuel pump challenge.
This was an early generation MPI...there is no fuel control cell on the front of the engine (black canister).

There is only one high pressure, high volume fuel pump on the engine (compared to 2x on the newer ones..a low pressure inline, and a high pressure in the FCC).

It is mounted on the port side of the engine in a water cooled housing (pic attached). The pump is stamped with the following Pierburg p/n: 7.21659.02.0

According to the Crusader parts list, it is identified as Crusader p/n: 47039.

After a week of scouring the internet and calling various shops, I have learned that most vendors will have a different Pierburg pump listed as Crusader p/n 47039. The replacement must be the same exact dimensions in order to fit in the water jacket.

Most are incorrect for my engine (verified by the Pierburg p/n); the replacement most vendors are carrying is Pierburg p/n: 7.21565.71.0 (pic attached) with a removable rubber jacket.
The pump is 1.5" too short and the inlet port is larger.

I have spent a lot of time trying to find a replacement. These days, trying to find a part by mfg's part number is impossible. Most parts stores can't help you if you cannot start with the year, make and model of a car.....good luck if you say it is for a boat! :mad:

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 90
I have the same set-up you probably do. I believe there was a change and we are somewhere in between. From the tank first there is a 10 micron black screen, then a fuel water seperator without an element, then the pierburg pump on a bracket on the front motor mount( no cool can or water jacket) from there it goes to a silver filter attached to the throttle body. The year and serial number will not tell what is needed. You will have to describe the system to them, In some diagrams it is called a 454 XL HO not XLI. All that being said I found the fuel line on the rear of the pump had a crack causing loss of suction and loss of pressure. It is a steel/rubber line with mechanical crimps much like older A/C lines on cars. It is not an OEM part and the first hydraulic line shop could not make the line up. Try speed shops, won't be uscg approved fuel line but should work.

Back