Logo

Revs too high @ "idle" 2001 BF50

mikeczipri

Strange problem with my motor started happening recently...

After running at or near full throttle for a while, when I get off plane and put the engine in neutral the engine will rev on it's own from idle speed (900-1000 rpm) to up over 2500 rpm sometimes. It only happens after running for a while at 4000+rpm. Does not do this if I stay off plane and dont bring the revs too high.

If I leave the boat in gear at idle speed the RPM's will stay low at regular idle speed, but if I take the motor out of gear the revs will build up quickly. IF I let it sit in neutral for 5 mins or so the revs will go back down to regular idle speed.

This is a real problem when I am trying to drop anchor or when I am trying to dock the boat because the engine revs high in neutral so when I try to throw the engine in gear it really clunks, and I'm starting to worry about the gear linkage and gears themselves.

The motor also stalls out sometimes if I advance the throttle too fast, like there is a dead spot around 3500 rpm or so. I cannot just slam the throttle to full throttle from idle speed or it will stall out....I have to slowly advance the throttle until I am on plane and then I can put it to full throttle. I'm thinking this may be related to the idle revving issue, like there is a vaccuum leak somewhere or something?

Any ideas on either of these issues?

Hi Milo123,

Maybe this guy never got back because I just clicked on the link I sent him and said "HUH?" He probably thought I was nuts!

The link below is the link I meant for him to look at. I would be particularly curious about item #41, dashpot. I would think that if that were faulty, it could cause these symptoms.

However, I say this having never worked on this particular engine, so that is just a guess.

This could also be caused by one of the carb floats sticking or linkage binding so it may take some thorough investigation to find the reason. I would start with the dashpot.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2001/BF50A1 LRTA /CARBURETOR/parts.html

Thanks for the response. I will check over the linkages as best I can. As for the part you mention, I am up in Desolation Soumd, BC on vacation so getting parts will be a little tuff! If the linkage inspection doesn't turn anything up, I will have to wait a week or so untill I return home. Thanks again!

Back