Logo

Default Trim Will Not Lower or Raise - only clicks pressing toggle up & trailer buttons

Hello. I have a Mercruiser trim problem. Currently, it's stuck in the UP position. When I try to lower the trim by using the toggle down button, I only hear clicks. If I press the TRAILER button, I also hear clicks. When I press the trim UP toggle, I hear nothing. The does engine start.

I have checked all the connections around the solenoids, cleaned them up, & replaced the UP solenoid b/c it was completely black.

When testing the connections w/a voltage tester (which I'm not totally sure how to do): the only connection that I got a spark from was on the UP solenoid - and only on the smaller bolt to the top right, which holds a blue/white colored wire, which runs to the trim control wiring harness.

I've also checked & filled the power trim pump oil.

Please Help!

Default Re: Trim Will Not Lower or Raise - only clicks pressing toggle up & trailer buttons

And the year of this trim pump?

Default Re: Trim Will Not Lower or Raise - only clicks pressing toggle up & trailer buttons

I'm not exactly sure if the trim pump has ever been replaced - it looks old (see picture). The boat is a 1987.[IMG][/IMG]

The picture was taken before I cleaned all the connections.

From the motor :blue wire is up, green wire is down, black wire should go to the housing or to the same point that the main neg cable attaches. ,not the solenoid.
    using jumpers from the battery neg to black wire of motor, pos to blue,motor should run up, to green motor should run down.If it now runs, check that square block that has the pos cable. it`s a fuse link that may be corroded.
    http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/97/97hs6.pdf

Follow BT's suggestion and report back. You don't hear anything with the trim UP toggle because you're at or passed trim limit (normal).

mine is stuck n the up position and clicks both ways. Any Suggestions

use a jump wire from the + battery and touch the Green motor wire , motor should run. If not:
    check and clean main power connections both pos and neg
    using a jumper from the + battery, touch the green motor wire, motor should run ,if not disassemble and clean armature in motor and check brushes. In most cases motor replacement fixes the problem