Logo

1981 260 mercruiser exhaust manifolds advice and opinions

kfx400

Hello all, .
Manifolds started to crack and leak water between the center cylinders and tried to have them repaired thru some local advice. Now they leak worse, I now know I have to purchase new. I have been doing some searching for parts and know what manifolds I need. Attaching some photos to view. I would like to know if I should purchase new risers and end caps. I know I'll need gaskets and block off plate as well as studs,washers,nuts,bolts.
As you'll see in 1 of the riser pictures, I have taken 2 picture of with the block off plate laying both ways. I did not notice the small hole in the plate when I took it off. Which way does it go so I install the correct way? What site would be the best and cheapest to purchase from, And would this site likely just have the whole kit with everything I need? Is the sterndrive tag on the valve (see pic) cover considered the serial #?
By the way, I have had the boat since 1995 and have always drained the block,manifolds,etc and refilled with antifreeze and have replaced the lower unit impellar (we only put about 30 to 40 hrs of run time a year on it) every couple of years whether it needs replaced or not. Several years ago my temp gauge start showing around 170 to 180 and it used to normally show 150. I had just replaced the impellar that year prior to the boating season, So I pulled the water pump from the motor and inspected and replaced. I next swapped the temp gauge with and identical gauge from my buddy's boat. Temp showed (150) normal. So I knew my gauge was reading above normal and has been consistently that way since. thermostat (142) has since been replaced.
I estimate the boat has about 800ish hrs of run time on the motor since I've had it.
Also do I need to repaint the port surfaces on the heads before installing new manifolds?
Sorry for such a long post, But I want to get things right this time and money is tight
eek.gif

Here is the link to pictures:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...%20mercruiser/

If I was you I would buy everything and get it over with. You don't want old nasty risers leaking into your new manifolds at the wet joint and allowing water into the engine, just my opinion, others my chime in, but if you are already buying manifolds what's a little extra for risers, much cheaper than an engine rebuild for sure

Thanks for the reply Concord,
What is the wet joint? Is it this? http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/KFX400/1981%20260%20mercruiser/?action=view¤t=DSC03635.jpg
Here is what I ended up doing this last Tuesday!

Thanks Gentlemen,
I really appreciate the responses from you fellas helping this old guy out!

(manifolds and risers should be new together. End caps may be reused if in good condition.) Yep that's what I was hoping and doc,You confirmed!

Ayuh,... I really don't think it matters, at all...

All gasketed surfaces should be Clean, Flat, bare, shiny metal....

Thanks bond-o,You confirmed my thoughts but needed confirmation from someone with knowledge.

Your exhaust surfaces are actually in pretty good shape for that year motor.
You might consider a center-rise conversion kit rather than old style log manifolds.

And thank you for your opinion John, I did not know that I could do a center rise conversion!

I am kinda pressed for time and greenbacks and have placed my order from Geoff at http://www.marineparts.com/mpf/mpf284.aspx
I purchased,(I hope) everything I need except the end caps for $981.70 shipped.
I'm not for sure if this is the best deal around, But from what I have looked at, It's not bad and I should have it by Friday.
Thanks again to all who contributed.

Last edited:
Back