Logo

1987 Classic 50

ricki

I've had this motor since the get go and it runs great for the most part.

The last couple of years it's been doing this...when I launch the boat the motor fires up and idle no problem. No starting issues whatsoever.
After letting it warm up a little I head out into the lake and it runs great until I give her and she will hesitate while I've got the handle on full throttle. She will seem like she's catching but won't right away and after a couple of minutes like that she will finally catch and go like stink. She only does this if the boat sits for a day or two. Because once she catches she's good for the rest of the day and won't do it again.

Any ideas as to what to fix?

Thanks

Richard

I'm having a hard time just finding the idle mixture screw on either carb. Do I have to remove the air box to make this adjustment?

Richard

I believe there's a hole in that thing in front of the carbs. You'll a really long, thin screw driver.

Jeff

Are you saying it hesitate at full throttle, or getting to full throttle....
When you say it goes like stink, does motor kick in very sharp

Steve

I would say getting to full throttle with the throttle wide open but only with the secondary carb if that makes sense because I can go at half throttle all day with no problems but when I get her up on plane at full throttle she will almost seem like she's not getting enough fuel. When I say she goes like stink there's no kick at all...she just stops hesitating or starving and smooths out on plane and goes.

Thanks Steve

Richard

Last edited:
Check fuel pumps.-------------------Plastic gas tank ????, then check pick-up tube in the tank.------Also put a timing light on it ( all cylinders ) and see if there are spark issues.

LOL What's wrong with a plastic gas tank....I wouldn't know where to buy a metal one anymore.

I'll check it though

Thanks

Richard

Well I rebuilt the fuel pump and just took it out for a spin to see if it's running good under load.
It's running good considering but still have that problem.
I wonder if one of the carbs has a slow leak at the float bowl? Would that cause the same thing?

Richard

Put a timing light on it and see if there is a spark issue.-----------You may be running on 3 cylinders momentarily until the 4th one kicks in.--------------Trouble shooting is the way to go.--Compression test won't hurt either.

Well guys I put new plugs in and also changed the female connection on the gas tank from plastic to metal. I don't know which did it but she's no longer doing it !!!

Thanks for all the advice and tips !

Richard

You were sucking air through that fitting. Many--like me--use only the fitting at the motor to prevent that.

Jeff

Back