Logo

Evolution of modern practices in todays newer boats...looking for a few answers

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
In the 5 years or so I have been doing everything to this boat. I have read many topics for which I wonder when these things started AND should mine be "updated" There are too many opinions and the regs read to me at times like a Latin language guide book to Key West

I have re-wired some MAJOR AC/DC elements and the "new" rules call for less than 42" for a type of fuse regarding distances, color codes, etc.stc. and I have followed tthese new requirements to a "T". As I look each season to perform preventive maintenance, I wonder about some things.

I read bout anti-siphon: I am looking for them in our boat simply to take a few precautionary measures. I do not seem to be able to find them. My fuel lines go from the top of the tank, thru a variety of filters and then to the fuel pump and subsequently the carb. Is this still an acceptable method of routing

I have seveal fire extinguishers abord; however, I have this centrally located FIREBOY thing that is either wired to release on temperature rise or continue to reduce my fuel levels from its' weight. It has a little green bubble liquid switch BUT it is probably 25 years old. No idea if it even works. I had found a ticket some OLD papers that Fireboy will re-charge for free....sure in 1985 maybe

Some of my hoses read J2006....my guess is the year 2006...Do newer hoses have 2011 on them or is it sim ply a year that designates a new "standard" in that type of hose?

The last few years has been met with much enjoyed reliability and knowledge secure enough to travel well offshore. Our "systems" are operating properly and servicing things I knew little about 7-8 years ago is a breeze. If this thing was a morotcycle...Whew! Thanks

I read bout anti-siphon: I am looking for them in our boat simply to take a few precautionary measures. I do not seem to be able to find them. My fuel lines go from the top of the tank, thru a variety of filters and then to the fuel pump and subsequently the carb. Is this still an acceptable method of routing

I have seveal fire extinguishers abord; however, I have this centrally located FIREBOY thing that is either wired to release on temperature rise or continue to reduce my fuel levels from its' weight. It has a little green bubble liquid switch BUT it is probably 25 years old. No idea if it even works. I had found a ticket some OLD papers that Fireboy will re-charge for free....sure in 1985 maybe

Some of my hoses read J2006....my guess is the year 2006...Do newer hoses have 2011 on them or is it sim ply a year that designates a new "standard" in that type of hose?

You are far more conscientious than most boaters! If you have any part of the fuel system lower than the top of the fuel tank, anti-siphon valves make sense. The idea being, a leak at the filter, carb, hose, valves will not siphon the bilge full of fuel. Especially if it can be weeks between boat visits. J2006 is a hose spec, I think SAE. What is the medium in the big fire fighter? CO2 or Halon? You might have to weight it every few years to give more piece of mind.

As for the fuel tank fitting anti-siphon valves, they will look similar to this.
These are first in line out of the fuel tank 90* fitting.

images

It is nothing more than a specific gravity check valve being used in a reverse fashion to eliminate an unwanted siphon should a fuel line become compromised, and in particular, if this fuel line elevation was such that gravity could start a siphon. (I.E., a low lying fuel line that became breached somehow)
The spring loaded ball (in theory) prevents the average fuel gravity siphon from occuring.

As for fuel flexible fuel hoses, it's never a bad idea to replace with current hose products.
Today's materials seem to be getting better at handling the ill effects of E10.
The current approved line is Type A1-15 .

As for the Fireboy.... is this a Halon system?

Last edited:
Hey Rick,

I would THINK the Fireboy IS a halon setup. As for the anti-siphon, I am wondering if they were around in the early 1980's when this boat was built. I know NO ONE has done the maintenance my brother and I do on the boat. After all, we are not anxious to be out 30-40 miles only to have something stupid happen because we failed to look into it. These fuel lines have pressed on fittings like hydraulic hoses, they are A1 fuel lines but I can't see the possible use of anti-siphon valves in line anywhere. The fuel lines may have been replaced a few years before I got in there but I would believe that if the valves were FREE...the PO would probably not invested even the time to screw them in. In it's 2 years prior to our acquisition, I believe it was a floating hotel room....hourly, if you get my drift.

Attached is a picture of where the anti-siphon valve is located on my 1990 Silverton with Crusader 454s right on the top of the fuel pickup tube. I have heard that some owners have removed them, but this is not a good idea for the reasons already cited by others.

Erich

anti-syphon2.jpg

Dave,

The fire extinguisher is mounted vertically to the bulkhead that divides the engines from the saloon. It is forward of four batteries and about a foot more. Getting to it is essentially a crawl space. I am tempted to leave it adn keep my other fire equipment ready. It LOOKS like it may weigh 35-40 lbs on over-stretched arms. Would you think there is a required technice to disconnect the trigger? You know like the " secret switch" on the dirty bomb in Goldfinger that shuts off with the clock reading 007 seconds to go? :) While MOST of the line is level with the tank, there is a dip to get to the fuel pump so....

Erich, I appreciate the photo and I am going to just need to dissassemble one of the feeds.

Knuckle47 and Erich,

The fuel fittings should technically be TP or TPT (Tapered Pipe or Tapered Pipe Thread) and hose barb combo.
The fitting that Erich shows, is what appears to be an SAE swivel type fitting (JIC would be steel).

I'd not be comfortable with this style fitting being used for Gasoline fuel supply lines.
Erich, your call.... just an FYI for you.

attachment.php
images

These fittings are generally used in pneumatic and/or oil scenarios.
In fact, I don't think that these would pass an inspection when used for gasoline supply.

On another note.... the anti-siphon valves are replaceable, and can be considered a maintenance item.
IOW, I'd not allow a potential anti-siphon valve malfunction to be a reason for eliminating them.... they're just too easy to replace if need be.

On yet another note, I'd recommend pulling the dip tubes, and inspecting the screens.
These can be broken, clogged, etc.
images

18229-1-lg.jpg

Knuckle47 and Erich,

I'd not be comfortable with this style fitting being used for Gasoline fuel supply lines.
Erich, your call.... just an FYI for you.

These fittings are generally used in pneumatic and/or oil scenarios.
In fact, I don't think that these would pass an inspection when used for gasoline supply.

That surprises me. Flare fittings are used on the carbs themselves on the gas pressure side. I think lots of installs use Aerquip hoses with flare/JIC fittings from various builders, including Tiara on the suction side. I've got a couple too. On the other hand, I've heard bad stuff about compression fittings. Someone should look this up on the ABYC spec.

And I've seen a bunch of flares that cracked from vibration at the flare and leaked.

A properly installed compression fitting doesnt' do that, and it won't leak either. There things got a bad rap after boneheaded mechanics over-tightened and ruined a bunch of them. Hell, the best fittings on earth are made by Swagelok, and they are (in essence) compression fittings. We used them in cyrogenic service (super cold) and they consistently outperformed flared fittings.

Jeff

Back