Logo

Milky lower unit oil

firecadet613

Just did a complete once over on the '98 6hp I bought. Previous owner used it on his fishing boat so I wasn't to surprised when I took off the prop and found fishing line wrapped on the prop shaft.

I'm not sure how long its been since he changed the lower unit oil, but of course some water came out followed by milky oil. I sprayed a bunch of WD-40 in before refilling with some Volvo Penta synthetic lube that I use on the big boat.

What seals will I need to replace if this is an on going issue? I plan to drain the lube in a month or so to see how it looks.

I just discovered the same thing when I tuned up my 1998 25 hp Bigfoot. Is changing the seals something your average guy can do? I have a manual but I can't find anything on "seals" in the index. If this is something I can't do, exactly how much is a "fortune"? Thanks for any help....

Seals are " cheap "--------------If water gets in and ruins gears and bearings, then it costs a " fortune "-----------------Many dealers will only want to sell you a complete new lower unit or a new motor.----------------Look in the manual for " lower unit "-------------it has the details for seal replacement.

Milky oil is NORMAL if the motor was recenty run. That's merely air bubbles that have been beat into the oil. If water came out FIRST when you dropped the plug, then you'd have a problem.

Jeff

Thanks. Unfortunately it sat for a few days befor I drained it.

It is leaving a small oil sheen on the water if I fill up a trash can and run it. Appears to be coming from where the propshaft housing bolts up to the driveshaft housing.

Now to decide to fix or just sell it.

Just got home and looked at it.

2-2.jpg

Appears to be coming from that hole, not sure what it is as its not on any parts diagrams. Feels like its rubber when I try and stick a small screwdriver in the hole with a paper towel to try it up.

Back