Logo

'97 honda BF2A 2hp 4stroke: prop not turning? no resistance whatsoever?

couriercrisis

whats up, new to the forum. need some beginner help.

just got a used 2hp 4stroke 1997 honda BF2A outboard on craigslist for $300 (fair price for a FUNCTIONING motor of this age...). when i went to pick it up, everything worked fine, prop seemed as though it was spinning (i later realised that this could just be the exhaust), ran it in a garbage can full of water, stopped it a few times and it starts up first pull, especially after i changed the spark plug and oil. when i went out on the chicago river to bop around on my new inflatable, the engine starts up, and the exhaust is making a ****load of bubbles, but the prop isnt spinning now. is there some type of engage lever i am missing or IMO is it something to do with a centrifugal clutch maybe? when i spin the prop by hand, it seems as if theres absolutely no resistance at all !! i didnt mess with anything on the engine besides changing oil and spark plug, and hitting some spots with grease gun injector thingie.

what gives? i didnt drop it, or break it. ive never really worked on outboards, let alone 4stroke anything, but am ok at working on my old 2stroke moped. i am an amateur, beginner 2 stroke mechanic. and professional bicycle mechanic. is this something i could open up myself without really having any outboard knowledge or experience at all? what could possibly be going wrong inside? the shaft isnt connected to the gears that spin the prop? the cotter pin that holds the prop in, is slightly bent, but it shouldnt interfere with normal operation. its in there pretty well.

**** did this guy rip me off? *****

ive got a parts diagram and an owners manual for this engine from the internet, but does anybody have a shop or repair manual i can get?

indeed,
frank

It may or may not have a centrifugal clutch...depending on the model.

Post the serial number and we will know for sure. If it is truely a 97, then it does not have a centrifugal clutch. It is direct drive.

Before taking it apart. Take the prop off and see if the shear pin is broken. It goes through the prop shaft and sits in a slot in the front of the prop.

If it is broken, you may have some extra underneath the front part of the engine under the handle.

Mike

Last edited:
Back