Logo

2000 Merc 90hp 4 stroke - dry carbs!

mtastad

Hello -

I have a 90hp 4-stroke that I have only used a few times a year. It has always ran well, but when I tried to winterize it last fall it wouldn't start. I can pump the ball and get gas to the carb side of the fuel pumps but nothing gets to the carbs. The ball is very stiff and I have pressurized fuel at the exit of the fuel pump. Is it possible that all four carbs have floats that are gummed up and are not letting fuel into the bowl? When I remove the drain plugs on every carb they are completely dry. If it was a gumming issue I wouldn't think that it would happen simultaneously to all four carbs. I am about to remove the carbs to clean/rebuild them but was curious if anyone had any other ideas for me to try before I rip into it.

Model # of engine is 1F90412YD

Thanks!
Mark

My MERC 500 Thunderbolt had that problem in one carb, the float needle was stuck. I believe that it was caused by not running the motor out of fuel before storage. I'll bet you find the same. If you pumped the ball and it was hard, it acts like they are closed. It happened to me even with stabilizer in it. My float needles are rubber coated on the tip, maybe that has something to do with it.

Take one carb, pressurized the fuel system, then rap on the body of the carb with a soft hammer (or block of wood hit by a hammer). Leave the drain plug out so you'll see immediately if the float is stuck.

Strange, but stuff happens.

Jeff

Back