Logo

85 Mastercraft engine, trans. Alignment questions

Liledgy

I just bought a 85 Mastercraft, 351 PCM w/ 1:52-1 borgwarner powerslot trans. Boat has sat for over 2 years, I bought new steering cable petronox electronic conv. Cap plugs wires fuel filter carb rebuild kit etc. I also purchased 2 isolators ( rubber bushings) for the rear left ( as your looking frontward) engine mount by trans. It was pushed out towards center of boat, looks like the metal threaded rod the bushing goes around is not centered, it also looks like it dropped a bit. I separated the coupling to prop to see if it was out of wack but it went right back together. I then separated it again and shaft turned pretty easy for being dry. When it was bolted to trans I couldn't turn shaft.
Is their a easy way to install the new isolator. It has a snap ring that needs to be removed. Could I pry motor over and up slightly and have a friend drop the isolator in and then release? Or do I need to loosen all four mounts? Thank you for the replys

If you move the engine and transmission at all you have to go through a complete engine alignment procedure. No shortcuts on this I'm afraid. Don't run it until you do. Might as well count on redoing the stuffing box as long as you're in there.

Nope.
I could go thru an explanation but I'm sure there are plenty of write ups on line. Come back if you can't find one that shows you what to do and we'll go thru it.

Back