Logo

Stumped

SG Tiara

I have 2006 Tiara Sovran 3600 with twin 8.1L Crusaders. I purchased the vessel when it was 2 years old and had 48 hours on it at the time. The previous owner managed to gum up the walls of the fuel tank. I am not for certain how, I only know that the tanks had a hard varnish type substance that would flake off when operating in heavy weather and would plug up the primary fuel filters and eventually managed to damage the port low pressure fuel pump. After replacing the pump I sent the vessel back to Tiara as part of their R&R program and had them open up the tanks and clean the interior of the walls of both tanks, clean the fuel lines and replace all the filters. They put the boat in their test tanks and ran it for a while to be sure everything worked okay. In the end they also replaced the port low pressure fuel pump again. I ran the boat about 25 hours and started to have similar symptoms with only the port engine.

At this point I was getting quite frustrated. The port primary fuel filter would get some small debris in it but nothing that would prevent operation. I installed a Flow-Scan fuel flow system on both engines and also installed pressure gauges on the outlet of the primary fuel pumps and the outlet of the fuel cells leading to the injector rail. Both engines run 3-7# of fuel pressure on the low stage and 57-60# on the high. Both engines burn the same amount of fuel at any given RPM. However every 3-5 hours of operation the port engine will randomly shut down. Sometimes it comes back to life before the boat stops and we continue on our way, sometimes I have to stop and restart the port engine. When the engine shuts down there is no noticeable drop in fuel flow prior to it shutting down; the fuel pressure on both gauges does not drop off.

I had a Crusader mechanic plug his computer into the engines and see if there was any codes active or past and it did not show any. We compared the "key on" event counter to see if there was a loose wire causing the one engine to stop and start. Both engines where within 7 key events. (this had happened no less than 75 times at this point). He concluded that it was a fuel filter again so we changed the filters and put the boat away for the winter.

I picked up the boat today and had a good 3 hour run with no problems. Upon entering the harbor the problem came back. I had to restart the boat 5 times in 5 miles before I got it to the slip. I am starting to think that the computer may be going nuts. However in light of the past fuel problems I am not 100% sure. I really do not want to just throw parts at it and could use a new perspective as to how to attack this.

Any ideas?
Steve

Last edited:
Yeah. Since the fuel pressuere was fine when the engine died, why is anyone still hung up on that being the problem?

I suspect you have an electronic component that heats up and dies--temporarily. When it cools down a bit, all is well again. Very typical. When the technician looked it over with his gizmo, the item that's causing all the triuble was working again--so much for said gizmos! THey only tell you IF a component isn't working that second, not if it crapped out a while ago.

Ain't electronics fun!

Jeff
Jeff

Being relatively new, you have a current generation ECU and it will store error codes when the conditions are met. Best to get a factory manual to get the specific details that have been incorporated into the code running on the ECU.

Also, many people don't realize it, but many parameters are NOT monitored or checked by the ECU. This means an issue (problem) can exist and no code could be set for that condition. Good old fashioned troubleshooting is still required. Many times relays are at fault, especially for intermittents. As cheap as they are, may not be a bad idea to renew the few that you have. Verify that the ECU has a good (and constant) supply of electricity (good ground too) when running - a test light may be beneficial here.

Do the easy stuff first. I'm with Marc, check main battery cables at battery and ground at block, positive cable at starter; make sure terminals are not corroded, are properly clamped and are fastened tightly. Also check the main engine harness. Then swap parts and go for runs but only ONE part at a time between runs so you know which is causing the issue. What type of ignition do you have? Just a note, I've learned over the years that it's seldom the ECU...IMO, but it's not impossible, it's just the last thing I'd swap. Carefull when you remove the connectors that you don't bend pins, and watch out for static when handling it. Have you pulled any spark plugs to see thier condition? When the engine quits completely, have you checked for spark right away?

Uh, let's try the easiest thing first. Unplug the ECUs from their connectors for an hour or so to allow the flash memory to reset.

The engines always restart when I cycle key power. The batteries had been dissconnected durring storage so the ECU was cleared. Plugs got replaced along the way. I will try to get some run time with swapped components this weekend; does it make sence to start with the ECU?

Steve

not to me....you'll find more relays are sold than ECU's. Just call an authorized dealer and ask how many ECU's they stock and how many they sell in a season. then ask the same for relays....

If they ALWAYS start with a key cycle, then the ECU can't be 'bad' can it?

I have been experiencing a similar issue with my 8.1 (port), however, the fuel pressure drops off just before cutting out. Replaced filters, fuel lines, fuel pumps. I am going to replace the fuel pump relay.

We had bad weather this weekend so i did not get a chance to try anything. Thank you to everyone so far that has offered some help.

Steve

look for this fuel line comes to W/S then goes out to a larger round disk(black) then line goes to motor....
These disk have screens inside.... You can remove and clean them...This get over look allot

Steve

Note some have them and some don't, you will need to look 1st

Back