Logo

wiring diagram for 1980 johnson 25hp

We'll need more info to go on. Does the engine have a wiring harness? If so, what color are the wires? Are you using a ignition switch, if so, what are the terminals of the switch marked? Etc etc..... you need to tell us exactly what you're working with.

We'll need more info to go on. Does the engine have a wiring harness? If so, what color are the wires? Are you using a ignition switch, if so, what are the terminals of the switch marked? Etc etc..... you need to tell us exactly what you're working with.
no ignition switch, it has a push button start. i know where the engine ground is but i cant figure out where the positive from the battery connects to? ive tried both solenoid posts and they both spin the starter but dont push it up to engage the flywheel????? i think i worded that right.

Battery negative (black) cable to a good powerhead ground point.

Battery positive (red) cable to one of the large starter solenoid terminals.

Starter cable from starter to the other large solenoid terminal.

Wire from battery positive (red +) terminal to one of the push button terminals or wires.

Wire from other push button terminal or wire to one of the small 3/8" nut terminals of the starter solenoid.

Wire from the other 3/8" nut terminal of the starter solenoid to a powerhead ground.

The above completes the electric starter circuit.

Now, if the starter turns slowly, not fast enough to have the bendix engage the flywheel, have a known good battery, fully charged, and run good known jumper cables directly to the elecric starter. That should make the starter jump to life but if it does not, the starter may need reworking. Let us know what you find.

i found a diagram that showed positive from battery to large solenoid terminal,negative to chasis ground,starter+ to other large solenoid terminal,+from push button to large solenoid terminal(same one as the + battery cable)- from push button to 3/8 solenoid terminal and the other 3/8 terminal around other side of motor to the neutral starter switch. when i hooked up to battery and pushed the start button the little wheel(bendix?) spun but did not go up to engage the flywheel. im pretty sure the battery was not fully charged and also the wire i used was much smaller guage than the old wire harness that i removed and cant find, not sure if the 16 guage wire gets enough juice to make the little wheel on the starter go up to engage the flywheel.

problem solved! every diagram i looked at showed a ground coming off the starter motor and the neutral switch. i wired the +battery cable to the solenoid and the-battery cable to the chasis ground and 1 push of the ignition and eureka!!!!!! thanks to those of you who helped me out....

Back