What kind of "ENGINE" is this???

Nelmel

I pulled this engine over the weekend and the only serial # I could find was:
What kind of engine is this?

GM
(Con 2)
C 50
--------------------------------------

Its off a 1970 Winner Run-About that has a tri-hull. Its 17ft inboard, and I think the lower block may be cracked. But I cant find out what size the engine is, or any information for that matter.

Thank you

NELMEL

PLEASE HELP ME OUT! I dont no where else to turn.

Last edited:
Looks very much like the little GM Chevy 120 hp 4 cylinder engine.
Since it's black, it's very likely from a Mercruiser application.

2 questions:

A. If the lower part of the block is cracked, can it be repaired?

B. If it cant be repaired, where can I find another one? Its a small block, and I think they only make long blocks anymore?

C. If I had to go with an entirely different engine (rebuilt or new), what would I have to do to make sure it even fit? Do all inboard engines fit all lower units?

Thanks

If the lower part of the block is cracked, can it be repaired?

No. Waste of time and money--and there's LOTS more damage elsewhere.

B. If it cant be repaired, where can I find another one? Its a small block, and I think they only make long blocks anymore?

Long blocks are available, but you'll probably need an exhaust manifold as well.

Do all inboard engines fit all lower units?

No, and the gearing is different for wide differences in hp.

Jeff

I agree with Ricardo. I am sure that's a 120 mercruiser engine. If I am not mistaken it is the same block that is known as the "iron duke" in the auto industry. GM put thousands of those engines on the road as did Jeep and AMC. You should be able to find one in a salvage yard for next to nothing and then convert it over to marine use by using components from you existing engine. I am sure the cam would have to be changed and of course freeze plugs.

Whoa! That is NOT an "Iron Duke"; it's 2/3rds of a Chevy 6 banger (that began life in the original Chevy II). Common mistake, but a damn good little motor.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I was once told that the 120 was the duke but the 140 wasn't. Guess I was given wrong info. Hate when that happens.

Was the Iron Duke the 250 cu in 6.... aka the Merc 165?
Now that was a dam good engine.... and it was one of the Chevy II engines originally, if memory serves me.

Back