Logo

84-85hp force

segawbay

I have lost fire to one cylinder, I can move leads and the misfire will move to another cylinder, I have replaced the trigger, one coil and one power pack all other components are original, can some one please help.

When leads are all in original position it's number 1 not firing then when I change the leads coming off the power packs and swap trigger and stator connections the miss moves, someone has mentioned a blocking diode in packs but one is brand new, I took to a supposed boat guy and he said it was trigger or stator so $180.00 for trigger and his 75.00 to diagnose still not working???

Sounds like a bad pack.Can't be sure but My GUESS is that.
Go to outboard ignition.com and follow the directions for your force.
You will need a peak reading volt meter or an attachment to do the tests.
Go get your $$$ back.J

I also had the misfire on cylinder #2 and could move it by moving the coil pack wires. After spending a bunch of bucks to replace coils, stator, trigger,and plugs, I took my boat home and it sat for 9 month. Yesterday I decided to try and fix it myself. After studying the stator, trigger, and coil pack wire diagrams I switched the two blue wires from position #3 with the other blue wire ( I think it was position #5) the misfire went away and it runs great. From what I understand the three cylinder only uses one side of the coil pack. So my shot in the dark was switch the two blue wires hoping it would phase the coil pack in the correct triggering configuration. IT WORKED. I was going to sell the boat out of frustration because even the boat shops could not make the misfire go away. As you have found out, information on repairing a Force # 2 Cylinder misfires is scares.

Hope this helps others. HAPPY FISHING- - -WATCH OUT WALLEYES!!!

God Bless you Dale, apparently in the past a boat mechanic that had worked on the motor told me that one of the leads on one of the packs had gone bad and that next time this happened i would have to replace the power pack, well what he failed to mention was he spliced the two blue wires coming off the stator into one connection so that only one yellow wire remained in the connector, the pin was even gone so i didn't realize that that wasn't the way it was supposed to be thanks buddy I still don't understand why he needed to do this, but this was why, thank you and all others who reply to questions ask by many people, input from others is always a blessing, again thanks I am boating again Don.
icon11.png

Back