Logo

5.7 GXI sick and needing help

Heviduty

I own a thunderdird formula PC 27 with twin 5.5 GXI duoprops. First real run last week and now I have a problem. Run out 30 miles and both engines ran perfectly,even throttle position, and matched fuel burn rates. After fishing for a few hours we picked up to run home. Immediatley I noticed that I needed to advance the starboard throttle further than the port to achive equal RPMs. A quick gauge check revealed good pressure and even temps, however the starboard burn rate was about half of normal. It runs smooth and doesn't appear to be way down on performance. Limped it home and now the fun begins. The simple solution would be to have the engines scanned but the nearest scan tool is 4 hours away at $95 PER hour each way plus time on the job.
Plan "B"is to try to guess what might be wrong. I didn't have the correct filters on the boat so filters this weekend with fingers crossed.
What sensor failure could cause a decrease in fuel burn Rate without a collapse in performance?
I'm looking for a starting point to switching parts between engines.
Thanks for reading this and any and all help is apreciated.

Gary C.

What sensor failure could cause a decrease in fuel burn Rate without a collapse in performance?

Gee I can't tell ya offhand but if you find out let us know so I can pull the one off the Range Rover since it only gets 13 mpg. All kidding aside it did take a performance hit, so it must be something. Offhand I'd say you have a fouled injector or an otherwise bad cylinder. Lifter not pumping up, fouled valve, bad plug, stuff like that.

Back