Logo

305 to 350 flywheel inquiry

SkipTheKnot

Hello & Good day to all,

I need some help with clarification on the flywheel... had to rip out granpappys old 305 VolvoP, 1978 had like 4 different yrs of cracks from not winterized properly...So, I found a nice 350-4bolt main from 1 ton truck, but upon getting the flywheel off of 305, it has some sort of what i would guess a "bobwieght" on the end of crank at the rear of block in which the flywheel was on & bolted to, it's shaped like a counterweight???

The flywheel from 305 DOES NOT fit the 350 at the rear main??? original 305 flywheel #366861N- 153 tooth-13"

Any help in this matter??

Kent

Kent, what you'll see is a difference in internal/external balancing, and year model differences in crankshaft flanges.
The 1978 OEM AQ series 5.0L engine would have been the early style crank flange.
If your new engine is post 1987 (1 pc rear main seal style engine), then you need the standard transmission 153 tooth flywheel from a later model Camaro car application.

No need to purchase a new flywheel $$$$$$$$ ..... we don't need the friction surface to be pristine for the Borg Warner drive coupler.... it doesn't care about the surface.
The ring gear must be in pristine condition, however.

305-flywheel to 350 rear main diffrence in size opening.jpg305 flywheel to 350 rear main opening diff in size.jpg350-rear main end.JPGHello Rick, TY for reply...heres a few photos if ya can tell whats goin on there...
I hear ya, but, this external balancer on the rear main of 305-'78- it extends the flywheel off the end of crank a good heavy1/2" mabe 5/8, didnt measure it & block is still on the deck inside boat & i'm at home still marinizing & rering etc this 350... the crank end of 350 is approx 2-1/16" OD... the hole in 305 flywheel is 2-7/16"... i dont have calipers for precise sizes, pretty damn close tho...
so with this thing(ext. balancer) on the rear main of 305 extending the flywheel, i need a new starter with shorter nose cone??? is there an adapter that would... ahh belay that statement , the bolt holes probably wont match up... & the 305 flywheel is mega thick & heavy, is that a normal marine app? cuz i know reg flywheels are nowhere near that thick & heavy...man i didnt want to spend that monies.
Damn, i gotta get this thing goin for the "Thank a Vet" boat outing venues, www.Boat4Vet.com as i'm an unemployed disabled Vet & still fighting & awaiting benefits.
KC

Attachments

• ring gear of course.jpg
    ring gear of course.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 130
Like Ricardo says the flywheel is off a manual trans Camaro.
Try Cobe Marine in Pasadena,Md He's the best parts Volvo guy I know.
The old Chev block was a light duty (cheapo) block. They are still available in 305 and 350(I think).J

Kent, this is the later style crankshaft flange.
The 1978 153 tooth flywheel will not mate up to this crankshaft.

attachment.php

The problem is not with the 5.0L -vs- the 5.7L crankshafts ..... the issue is with the year model differences.

The Borg Warner drive coupler will mate to either flywheel.
attachment.php

Kent, I have to resort to my being the PDS Bearing NAZI :mad: for a minute here, and in the form of an FYI and special note for you.
What ever you.... no mater what you do.... please please please replace the PDS bearings and seals in your Flywheel Cover.
They are inexpensive (when purchased from a major bearing supplier) and require about an hour + of your time to R&R them.
(if you have the red 1 pc F/C as shown below, you need a SKF or KOYO #6206, a #6007, and two 35x62x7mm seals by TCM or Timken. Cost ya about $40 only)

You do not want to end up with one of these hanging on your garage wall.

Attachments

• Flywheel Cover explosion.jpg
    Flywheel Cover explosion.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 252
Hey J, TY for reply...

Yeah 10-4 on the flywheel, would I presume that nothing said in regards to the starter that it may fit... or it was lsft out of the reply??? if the nose cone doesnt fit, i should be able to pit a junky heavy duty one & rebuild it into the fire arresting case, huh??

And, the flywheel... an outo flywheel isnt going to have the threaded holes for the ring gear, dril & tap??? i presume or actually spend the monies on a true marine typ, ey???

Thanks again for reply
Kent

Rick, roger that on the bearings...ya damn BEARING NAZI!!! LMAO!!! ok man, thank you, didnt know what the red was, looked like paint to me man... yeah, Granpappy wasnt the best at maintainence... RIP... butt its been a very cool boat!!! I usually take laptop with me to the boat, doin homework for school... damn thats a bitch at this age!!! LMAO... at any rate easy access to part # for bearings, maann fellas, TY so much!!! for the schooling on this.

Oh hell NO, I do not want to see that hangin on my bsmnt wall!!!

But, neither one of you said anything about the starter!!! what up man, you guys afraid to tell me , huh?? gonna have to get another one , huh???

KC

Last edited:
Kent, I'm not sure that I understand your starter motor question.
Let me tell you this:
The engine block will accommodate either starter motor.

The 153 tooth flywheel dictates that no matter what..... the starter motor must be the straight accross bolt pattern motor.
Here is what I'd recommend, and they will look like this one.
(note the bolt pattern)
starter-motor.jpg

These are HTGR/PMGR and will kick butt over the OEM.
(high torque gear reduction/permanent magnet gear reduction)
NOTE: Do Not accept a starter that is NOT using all steel reduction gears.
Ask your supplier first..... if they can't verify....., don't purchase from them.

The staggard bolt pattern motor will NOT work (shown below)....... these are for the 168 tooth flywheel.
76011F-p.gif

Is that what you were asking about????

Heya Rick, TY for reply...

Yep, that was what i was trying to research, TY... BUTT, RaaRO Raggy, the starter i have is staggered, dont recall if it has the extra bolt pattern, damn, i hope so & let me go check the block rite quick....... sweet as hell, the block has the extra threaded hole!!! lets hope the starter does...

Man, i TY so much dude, good info man, i been havin a hard time researchin this stuff, must not be puttin in the rite keywords & crap... till i registered here.

TY again, keep up to date

KC :)PICT0103.jpg

Kent, the later SBC engine blocks are always machined for either starter motor.

However, in the typical auto and marine starter motors.... you're going to find one or the other.... not one that works for either.

Not until you get into the more expensive "Square Block" PowerMaster style starter motors will one work for both.
I have similar on my twins.
These will work with either ring gear tooth count.
Note the four mounting bolt holes.

images

Hey Rick, yep,yep... just got out to the lake/boat, yes!!! the starter is the strait across bolt pattern!!! & yes like you say, the block itself is machined for either pattern... now i gotta find the flywheel... goin to Tony's boat bone yard tomoro... should be able to make him a trade for my 305 flyweel, also see if he has those bearings you NAZI'd out on me ... LMAO!!! good lookin out tho man, i probly wouldnt have thot bout those for sure.

TY man, awesome to have others input, i thank you for getting me all the way thru this man!!! :)

KC

now i gotta find the flywheel... goin to Tony's boat bone yard tomoro... should be able to make him a trade for my 305 flyweel, also see if he has those bearings you NAZI'd out on me ... LMAO!!! good lookin out tho man, i probly wouldnt have thot bout those for sure.

KC
KC, I doubt that anyone will do a straight across trade for flywheels.... the later style is more valuable.

As for PDS bearings/seals..... just order these through a bearing supplier (see post # 5 again).
No Chinese.... get good Koyo or SKF or _____!

023.jpg001.jpgHey Rick... Whats up man??? from Garage to in bilge!!

All has been a freakin nitmare man!!!! one thing after the other, buttt i'm still goin... down to the finally & it doesnt want to pump gas... nor raw water as its crankin,,, took fuel pump apart.. its in good shape, both diaphrams...took the inlet hose off & blew into the tank, got bubbles...so i guess i gott freakin tear into the damn feul filter/water seperator unit... the raw water unit isnt directional is it, other research says it isnt, so i shouldnt have it bkwards ass... just bought an impellor last year & had it at the house thru winter with fogging spray on it, it looks great... it should pumping raw water while crankin rite??? with the cups forcing water in... any thoughts on that sh... man i'm about to freakin pull my hair out!!!

You have the old AQ 200 B system with the Sherwood belt driven pump... and yes, this style pump is very much directional sensitive.

attachment.php

Take a look at this recent thread.
The OP had same issue on a Chrysler engine.
Read posts #6 and #9 and see the images.
Flipping his pump around to the correct orientation, fixed his issue.

Just an FYI, you have the full dished pistons.
I'd not go wild on ignition TA with this combustion chamber design.
Keep it mild and moderate, to avoid Marine load Igntion induced Detonation.
This is very important for Marine engine loads.

attachment.php

Not that you asked, but these pistons, in a 5.7L SBC, should be accompanied with the small 64cc chamber heads, if you intend to pull any power from this at all.

Last edited:
Hello Rick, how are ya these days?? Kent here, that was doin the 305 to 350 block swap in Granpas old bayliner... motor runs good, but now it doesnt want to get up on plane, wont go past 2k rpm when transmission engaged, it'll go up to 4k when in nuetral just fine... but not with a load on it?? i thot i was told or saw in one of these forums that the gear ratio should be ok, whats your thot on that?? could the outdrive gear ratio be wrong for the 350??

Even swapped props15x17... 15x19... 15x21... i know the rpm ratio drops with the higher pitches & slower to plane, but the 15x17 doesnt even want to get up,,, & i have some sort of clank, clank,clank when idleing or even at about 1500k rpm ya kno cruising thru channel to get to lake,,, cant put the ring gear on backwards, rite??? it doesnt set rite on the flywheel, it sits nice & flush with flywheel.

Last edited:
Skip, if you are asking concerning this engine.........

attachment.php

.... which chamber cylinder heads did you guys use?
If you used the 76cc chambers, you'll not pull any decent power from this engine.

As for the drive ratio, which ratio are you currently using?

I'll check back.

hey rick,

as for the heads i think i had told you i was reusing the 305 heads from the original eng, 25' bayliner Saratoga... Granpa bought new in 78.. i am tryin to find my note pad that i had the casting #'s on in which i looked up at one time... i cant exactly recall, i want to say they are like small 56cc, ddefinately dont recall seeing a big # of 74cc chamber...

As for the drive ratio, i am tryin to find that thru these forums, as i dont no how to find it & seloc manual is really not very clear, it's a pretty universal type maintenece manual, not specific to model. what ever ratio the vovlo 280I/O has sing prop.?

Rick, i found my notepad... casting # on 305 heads are as follows; # 354434... i looked them up & it shows to be 60cc???

Last edited:
Pull the prop hardware and prop....... remove the ring anode....... wire brush the AFT-most area of the prop shaft bearing carrier.
The ratio will be stamped into the aluminum carrier.

This number is good ONLY if no one has previously changed a gear set without re-marking the carrier.

Probably not a good choice for a 5.7L

Years ..... Casting# ... CID .............. Intake ... Exhaust ..... CC
1975-76... 354434.... 262,305 ........... 1.72" ......... 1.3" ....... 62

Last edited:
yeah 10-4... found some 350 heads at one the boneyards (marine style bone yard)that is, 150 bucks for some heads he said are gonna be decent, been usin him for a cpl yrs now... he gets cranky with a bunch a damn questions, LOL... & especially if he knew i was using quote"AUTO type" eng.,,, was suprised when he didnt question me about the block... so from some of the old salts i been chatting with, .. the heads arent lettin it exhaust good enuf thru those 305 heads... whatchew think?? yeah, i'll have to get back out to boat to get to the gear ratio,,, hit it ya with that tomro... got a jobby nuener coming up & then the "Thank Vet"boat outings www.boat4vets.com startin in July16..

Back