Logo

starting issues ????

MXDAD777

I have a 2005 115 hp Mercury outboard jet. This motor has run like a top from day one with out ANY problems at all. Two weeks ago I launched and it fired right up as usual, no problem. I motored down the river shut it down and fished a little. Did this 3 or 4 times with the motor shut down about 20 minutes each time. The next time I went to start it, it just cranked and cranked, but wouldn't start. After cranking off and on about 8 or 10 times, it started up. Went back to fishing (same pattern) and then it did it again. Same thing, it started after 8 or 10 cranking sessions. I went out fishing 3 more times and it ran like a top, no starting problems. This afternoon, it did it again. Crank and crank and crank, nothing. After cranking for a while, she started. Started and ran fine the rest of the afternoon. It seems to me that it's something electrical, but I don't know. I really wish it would just die and stay dead so I could trouble shoot it. Have any of you experienced anything like this or have any ideas what it might be? Oh by the way, the motor runs perfect at all speeds once it starts. No misses, hick ups or anything. The only thing that I think is a little unusual is when starting the motor (even when it starts) is seems to crank over a little too long before it starts. It seems to me that it started quicker prior to this problem. It takes about 2 to 3 seconds of cranking before starting. I think it should only crank for 1/2 second. Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be thorough. Thanks in advance for any ideas or pointers.

Hey mate.

When cranking does the engine splutter at all? or it goes from a crank to firing on all cylinders immediately? If it splutters I would suggest check your fuel feed. Ensure you have enough fuel pressure (no air leaks or no problems with fuel pump (if there is one)).
Next, I would bypass any kill switch mechanism. I dont know about your motor but on my 50hp 1983 Mariner its a simple matter of earthing one wire to bypass all the kill triggers (mercury switch, deadmans switch, etc..)

If the engine is [eventually] firing up and running fine then compression is probably not an issue. SO your best bet would be to keep looking at fuel and electrics. When its not firing up perhaps pull out a spark plug and see if its firing at all.

No, it doesn't sputter at all. Once it starts, it runs perfect. It acts just like the kill switch is turned off and you're cranking it over. Then after cranking it 8 or 10 times for approximately 5 seconds each crank (don't want to burn the starter up) it starts right up. The entire time it's running there are no misses, hick ups or anything, it runs perfect. I would think if I had a bad kill switch it would cut in and out at random times while motoring down the river. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and almost positive it's something electrical, but I don't know how these motors are set up to start trouble shooting it. The fact that it's an intermittent problem makes it that much harder. What I don't want to do is be 30 miles down river and have it fail completely. That would be a long way to go on a kicker motor.

Back