Logo

2 on/off battery switches to one on/off both

This is interesting... my boat (Twin 454) since I got it has 2 batteries with a 1-2-BOTH-OFF switch.

...from reading this you guys are saying it is not possible, or not good?

Wondering how I'm wired now..

I don't think that you have included enough information that would allow us to help you.

Do you have twins with only one MBSS, or two MBSS's.
How many battery banks?
What type of battery banks?
Can you post a rough schematic of your existing scenario for us?

I don't think that you have included enough information that would allow us to help you.

Do you have twins with only one MBSS, or two MBSS's.
How many battery banks?
What type of battery banks?
Can you post a rough schematic of your existing scenario for us?

Correct, twins with one MBSS.

Two batteries total. Not to sure how the terminology "Bank" goes. Two banks - one battery each OR One bank - w/ two batteries??

The batteries are both the same. I do not have a dedicated starting & deep cycle. I'm on the great lakes so not as important as the ocean guys. I was recommended from some of the guys at my marina and went with dual purpose Marine/RV batteries. Have gotten more then enough cranking power out of them and have also floated on battery power for several hours with no issues.

Schematic unavailable right now as I'm over an hour away from the boat. I haven't had issues with my set up and have an on board trickle wired into my shore power, but reading this thread implied that you can't have 2 batteries running off 1 MBSS?? So, that's where my post came from.

Thanks for your quick response.

1. Correct, twins with one MBSS
  2. Two batteries total. Not to sure how the terminology "Bank" goes. Two banks - one battery each OR One bank - w/ two batteries??
  3. Schematic unavailable right now as I'm over an hour away from the boat.
  4. I haven't had issues with my set up and have an on board trickle wired into my shore power,
  5. but reading this thread implied that you can't have 2 batteries running off 1 MBSS?? So, that's where my post came from.

1. That is rather odd!
  2. A "Bank" can be a single cranking battery, or a single Deep Cycle battery....., or a "Bank" can be mulitple batteries grouped together to create more Amp Hours, such as multiple Deep Cycle batteries making up a large "House Load Battery Bank".
  3. That would still be good to see.... post it here when/if you can.
  4. Trickle chargers when left operational are known battery killers. You really want a Marine three stage smart charger.
  5. Not true. Each #1 and # 2 Rear Terminal is intended to be fed by a battery bank...... the bank types may vary, but none-the-less, two banks supply the MBSS. (mbss = main battery selector switch..... not an ON/OFF switch) We then get to "Select" which bank is being drawn from and/or charged to via engine alternator.
To keep things very simple, you may want to consider something like this (below).
If you use your House Loads for any length of time, it would make sense to have a dedicated House Load Battery Bank, keeping your cranking battery banks in "reserve".

(examples only..... several ways to do this)

Attachments

• Twin Engine Battery schematic for Tom option 2.jpg
    Twin Engine Battery schematic for Tom option 2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 810
  • Twin Engine Battery schematic.jpg
    Twin Engine Battery schematic.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Reference #4 - Not positive it is just a trickle, but it was installed by previous owners. Supposedly cost a decent amount and is a marine grade stainless steel box with an amp meter (assuming) on the front of it. It is down in the bilge mounted on the cabin wall and wired into both batteries.

..I'll get back to you with the wiring set-up.

Back