Logo

1995 175 trim/tilt auto raising

sjb

After fishing this weekend, I put the boat away as normal and woke in the morning to find the trim/tilt motor running in the up mode. I disconnected power from the battery to stop it then reconnected power to lower the motor before disconnecting it again and going to work.

After work I reconnected the power and manually raised and lowered the motor to make sure there were no bad affects from the motor running so long...everything was normal (whew) so I left it in the down position leaving the power connected and went off doing other stuff to see if it would happen again. About 10 mins later it was running again with the same behavior...motor running in the up position.

Is this most likely a water in the switch issue? What other possibilities are there that I should look at? There are two switches, one on the throttle and one on the motor. How would I go about diagnosing this? What other possibilities are there that I should look at?

another possiblitly is a shorted wire. Examine the t/t wiring carefullly, look for cracks, melted spots, ect.

another possiblitly is a shorted wire. Examine the t/t wiring carefullly, look for cracks, melted spots, ect.
My 150 efi did the same thing today. I was thinking one of the three trim switches shorted out then a buddy said it was one of the two trim (capacitors) under the cowl. Don’t know yet

My 1996 135hp did the same thing years ago, it was water in the trim switch back on the motor. I just cleaned it all out put a little grease on the wire connectors and it has been good for years.

Back