Logo

Volvo penta 280 t trim rams?

lisandon95386

please help with trying to find a good leak free set of trim rams for my 280 outdrive.the dealers in my area are asking 878.00 for EACH one,thats just way more than iam willing to pay.or does anyone know of somebody that can rebuild them.the local boat repair shops tell me they are not rebuidable as the top caps are welded on.PLEASE HELP
don
ph. 209 874 1419

These re-seal kits are being offered by Bill L in Canada.
He and I are cyber friends. If anyone knows if these will fit the rare 280 PT drive, Bill may be the one. :D

Note that these cylinders are second Gen for the 290 that uses the Anchorage Bracket.
1302660840-19396-0.jpg

BTW, your thread title suggests 280 T .... " Volvo penta 280 t trim rams? "
The T used a single ram!
I believe you have the early 280 PT drive.
The 270/280 T drive was a different animal.

Take a peek here, and you'll see the early drive models and perhaps be better able to identify your drive.

Last edited:
These re-seal kits are being offered by Bill L in Canada.
He and I are cyber friends. If anyone knows if these will fit the rare 280 PT drive, Bill may be the one. :D

Note that these cylinders are second Gen for the 290 that uses the Anchorage Bracket.
1302660840-19396-0.jpg

BTW, your thread title suggests 280 T.
The 270/280 T drive was a different animal, and used a single ram cylinder.
Perhaps you have the early 280 PT drive.

Take a peek at http://www.marinepart***press.com/vp_engine_finder.htm to help better identify your drive.

The ME.com web site is stripping certain characters in the above hyperlink..... (the alpha characters " S E X " are missing...., I.E., the plural of part s and ex are missing).
While in your browser, replace the three * * * with S E X (no spaces) and go!
This site will show you many images of the early drives.

Last edited:
those rams are differant than the rams on my outdrive.i have a 280 single prop outdrive with power trim.boat has never been in salt water.the outdrive is as clean as when it was made,no corrosion anywere.just some paint missing from the fin at the bottom of the drive.the rams hold the drive up fine,but have to add type f fluid every two months.boat is a 1981 nordic 23 ft. daycruiser with chevy 350 lti
don

Hey thanks Ricardo, I always thought I had a 280T drive... just learned it is a 280 PT. Have you had any luck repairing the 280 PT o-rings?

Sorry for reviving such an old thread but I'm trying to find the correct spanner wrench to remove the caps from the trim cylinders in my dpe 290, where and which I can get, it seems to be very tight so I need a he wrench.

Thanks

Back