Logo

Need help with 1973 Chrysler 45 or 55 hp

Bill Homuth

I purchased a 1973 Tri hull today that shows on the motor cover to be a 45 hp. On the plate inside it says 55 hp. How can I tell which it actually is? Also, I am told that a standard sized ear muffs will not work on this motor... if any one can advise, please do... New to boating - Bill

Tach and stuff 001.jpgTach and stuff 002.jpgThe tag inside is what to go by.Post what it says on the tag and I can tell the year etc.The parts are generally the same.
It needs a cut down muff.I'll post a pic I think I have one.Fill out your profile.J

Thank you. I'll have to get the tag info when i get back into town, as my job keeps me traveling. I did find the cutdown muff, and tried it, but never found exit holes for the water on the motor... it just comes out around the muff

14.jpgIf it's not comming out the hole in the back of the motor #68 on pic or the snout on the bottom of the cavitation plate.#68 sticks out the back of the mid section.
You need an impeller or a new pump.
If it's set any length of time it might have bugs building nests in the holes.
I bought a 88/85 that had set for a couple of years.When I started it,it shot mud and old bugs out for 5 min.Looked like black water comming out.J

Back