Logo

volvo penta stuck in reverse

Avery

i have an 84 bayliner with a chevy motor (280) The inboard outboard is a volvo penta. I just bought this boat in January the oil had water in it, it was milky, i just changed the oil and did the grease fitting i put the boat in the water once had some major problems putting it into reverse so after i pulled it back out (forward worked great), on to the trailer took it and adjusted the levers on the prop took it out today had no forward motion i have no idea if you can help please do so

Avery, are you able to post a few photos of you engine/drive and in particular, the area ahead of and inside the shift cover?
The water that you mention....., was this in the drive or engine?

The drive if it says 280 that means the drive is a 280 model.The Motor's a aq225 or 260.
If you have water in the drive and it's set for a while you might have serious problems.
Like Rick says more info is needed,Pics and any description will help.Fill out the profile,you might be close to someone who can help.
Under the back cover is the shift mechanism.Remove the prop(safety) and put on the muffs and make sure the bottom hole of the drive is taped over(I use a LOT of duct tape when I run one on land)then remove the shift cable and start the motor.Shift by hand.Maybe as simple as a bad cable or a rusted shifter. Post your pics and results.J

The drive if it says 280 that means the drive is a 280 model.
Well, since the rear shift covers interchange from the 250 through the 285, this isn't always the case.
But yes..... pictures would be very helpful. :)
And I agree that temporarily disconnecting the linkage and cable may help determine what's wrong.
This would allow you to rotate the eccentric piston without limitations.
In fact, the cost for removing the shift mechanism is three O-rings.... or one only if you can tilt the drive up enough to not loose gear oil.

Last edited:
i think it could be the shift cable because i would start the engine while it was in neutral and then switch from forward to reverse and it would change on land but once i got it in the water it wouldn't work

Back