Logo

1960 Johnson 10hp Prop Shaft Seal????

sgruebs870

Hello. I have a 1960 QD-61 Johnson 10hp outboard that has a bad prop shaft seal. I went to the local marine shop and purchased the prop shaft seal that is suppose to fit my outboard, but it doesn't. It fits around the shaft, but is too small for the housing. I cross referenced the prop shaft seal part number with several other marine shops and websites and they all matched. Did the part number change over the years, or could a previous owner have swapped the lower unit with a different model outboard? I heard, and may have heard wrong, that some 9.5hp Johnson lower units were interchangeable with some 10hp Johnsons. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Chances are that the lower unit was replaced by either the 18HP from numerous years or a 10HP from 57 or earlier. In 58 OMC changed the 10HP lower unit to the 7.5 HP and 5.5HP instead of the 18HP unit used previously. The 9.5HP will interchange with the 10HP but still runs the smaller seal. Check out http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/378126/37812600001.htm pages 12 and 13 and order the parts for that unit. The 18HP unit for 1960 is stronger than the 10HP unit but still bolts up. If the lower unit is white it is from 59 up. If it is red it is from 58 to 56. If green it is from 55 or older.

I had thought the 18hp and older 10 hp had a 5 bolt configuration...the 1960 10 is a 4 bolt...I also think the QD61 is not the correct number for that vintage 10hp

The later 9.5 HP lower unit does fit ( except for driveshaft and shift rod )----------------It may have had the propshaft bearing housing replaced and the later ones had a different seal.---Should be easy to get the right seal, this is not difficult.

Back